Mayfest to announce Dillo Day performer Friday afternoon

Mayfest announced early Friday morning that it will reveal the Dillo Day headliner later in the afternoon — just one day before the music festival takes over campus.

Mayfest issued an apology for the lack of information amid rampant rumors and speculation from students on social media. The organization has not waited until the week of Dillo Day to announce a headline act in at least 10 years. Mayfest said this year’s delays resulted from challenging contract negotiations.

“This year’s contract process has been uniquely demanding; please know that we would not be waiting this long to announce unless we had absolutely no other choice,” the executive board said in a news release.

The statement explained that Mayfest cannot announce artists until the contracts have been signed by both parties.

“We have been working tirelessly for the past weeks to make sure that this information comes to you as swiftly as possible, while balancing our mission to protect the safety and integrity of the University — we apologize that the process has not been more transparent,” the release said.

The artist will be announced through the Residence Hall Association’s Facebook page Friday afternoon at a time that remains to be determined. RHA is a sponsor of the headline act.

Mayfest already announced the other performers earlier this month. Indie rock band Walk the Moon will open the show, followed by rapper Danny Brown, ’90s rock band Smash Mouth and electronic producer Lunice. The student performers who won the battles of the DJ and bands will also perform.

“Once again, please accept our deepest apologies for this delay,” Mayfest said in a news release. “We still intend on having a kick-ass day on Saturday, and we cannot wait to see you all roll out onto the Lakefill to party-down with us.”