Lunice to open for final Dillo Day act

Electronic+artist+Lunice+will+perform+on+Dillo+Day.+Lunice+is+originally+from+Montreal%2C+Canada%2C+and+is+a+member+of+the+DJ+duo+TNGHT.+
Source: Facebook
Electronic artist Lunice will perform on Dillo Day. Lunice is originally from Montreal, Canada, and is a member of the DJ duo TNGHT.

Lunice, half of electronic duo TNGHT, will be the next-to-last act of Dillo Day, Mayfest announced tonight.

Mayfest representatives said they chose the artist following a campus-wide survey that found trap music — southern-influenced electronic music — was popular among Northwestern students. Lunice, known for his work with artists like rapper Kanye West, will take the stage 7 p.m. June 1.

“It makes you want to have a good time, dance around and enjoy yourself,” said Weinberg junior Xander Shepherd, Mayfest concerts chair. “Lunice was a great route to take. Whether people know it or not, it is constantly played at parties across campus.”

Mayfest representatives said Dillo Day attendees will recognize the artist from popular party music, like TNGHT’s song “Higher Ground.” They also said some students would be familiar with him from his appearance in the music video “212.”

Shepard added the artist was “festival-tested.” TNGHT has appeared at Mad Decent Block Party and Coachella.

Mayfest co-chair Jeremy Shpizner said this year, they decided to choose a second-to-last act that would lead into the final act, unlike last year when they had a double-headliner format. Last year, the final performers of the night were rapper Big Boi and electronic artist Steve Aoki.

“We’re always playing around with structure,” Shpizner said.

Mayfest co-chair Wil Heintz said Lunice will amp up the crowd for the final act. Mayfest has not yet announced the last performer or the afternoon rock act.

“We want to make sure everyone is amped up for the end of the night,” said Heintz, a Weinberg senior. “It’s the perfect lead-in to get people pumped.”