Baseball: Wildcats take three of four during busy weekend

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore third baseman Reid Hunter takes an at-bat during a game last spring. The Wildcats won three of four games over the weekend.

Daily file photo by Jim An

Daily file photo by Jim An

Daily file photo by Jim An

Alex Putterman, Reporter

A last-minute trip to Nashville resulted in three wins and one loss for the Wildcats.

After being snowed out of a series with the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kan., Northwestern (4-2) made last-minute travel plans to arrange a four-game slate over three days of action.

On Friday, the Cats defeated Ball State behind a second consecutive strong performance from ace Zach Morton. The right-hander hurled 7 innings, allowing 1 run on 5 hits, improving to 2-0 while maintaining his 1.29 ERA.

Morton also contributed at the plate, driving home the game’s first run with an RBI double in the first inning and an RBI single in the fourth. Left fielder Walker Moses was 2-5 with a run scored and an RBI.

NU split Saturday’s doubleheader, defeating Western Kentucky University but falling to Saint Louis University.

Morton was the Cats’ hero again against the Hilltoppers, this time just with his bat. The fifth-year senior hit a three-run home run in the third inning, NU’s first long ball of the season, to give the team a lead it wouldn’t relinquish.

Cats starter Brandon Magallones would last 7 innings, allowing 3 runs on 6 hits and a walk and earning his first win of the season, as the team prevailed 4-3.

The back end of the twin bill went less smoothly for NU, as the Billikens scored 3 runs in the second inning, 4 in the fourth and 3 in the seventh to grab an unimpeachable 10-0 lead that withstood a 4-run ninth inning Cats rally.

Saint Louis bullied NU freshman starter Matt Portland, who left with two outs in the third inning, having allowed 7 base-runners plus a wild pitch and 2 balks, all of which resulted in 3 runs, only 1 earned. Junior Nick Friar, who relieved Portland, pitched 4 innings, allowing the Billikens’ other 7 runs.

Sunday’s game paired the Cats with the Lipscomb Bisons, who proved no match for NU hurler Luke Farrell. The senior right-hander struck out a career-high 12 batters, most for a Cats pitcher since J.A. Happ’s 16 in 2003, over 7 scoreless innings. The bats provided support, and NU cruised to an 11-4 victory to close the weekend.

About the Writer
Alex Putterman, Web Editor

Alex is a Medill senior studying journalism. He has written for The Daily’s sports desk since his first quarter at NU. His past positions at The Daily...