ASG plans campus music video

Northwestern’s Associated Student Government is attempting to take the University viral.

The organization is asking students across campus to submit ideas for a NU-themed music video. Applications for the video are due Saturday, and ASG plans to go into production at the start of Spring Quarter.

ASG President Victor Shao said the plans for the video began this fall, but the organization put them on hold so they could shoot in better weather. He said the idea was inspired by similar videos that went viral at schools like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

“We were trying to find creative ways to build community on campus that wouldn’t require much financial resources,” the Weinberg senior said.

Shao said a video seemed like a good way to show off the “range” of talent at NU. He explained that ASG hoped that, by opening up the video project to proposals from students, the organization would be able to take advantage of that artistic talent in making the video.

“We have a lot of people who are art-minded,” he said. “We thought this would be a cool way to showcase different groups from different parts of campus.”

Shao also said there is a chance that the ASG video will be completed this quarter, rather than in the spring. A group of students recently reached out to him about assisting in creating a NU “Harlem Shake” video this weekend. The “Harlem Shake” is a hip hop dance that involves shaking the torso and shoulders.

The Daily reported Monday the NU men’s swimming and diving team made a “Harlem Shake” video that then went viral over the weekend. However, the video was removed because the team did not consult athletic department rules regarding online presence before posting it.

The song used in all the videos is Baauer’s “Harlem Shake,” although it remains unclear where the dance originated. Generally one masked person dances and is then joined by a group of people also doing eccentric dance moves.

Shao said ASG will continue to help with this project as it accepts applications this weekend and is considering also using this for the campus music video.

— Cat Zakrzewski

ASG plans campus music video