Music fraternity Phi Mu Alpha donates watch party funds to Nordman

Students gathered at Phi Mu Alpha on Sunday for the music fraternity’s Super Bowl watch party. Proceeds from the event went toward funding Communication sophomore Josie Nordman’s double lung transplant.
Josh Walfish/Daily Senior Staffer

Joining a growing number of campus organizations fundraising for Communication sophomore Josie Nordman, music fraternity Phi Mu Alpha donated the proceeds from its annual Super Bowl watch party Sunday night toward a double-lung transplant for the Communication sophomore.

Nordman, who has cystic fibrosis, and her family need to contribute up to $75,000 of the $750,000 cost of the procedure, which insurance will not entirely cover.

PMA hosts a Super Bowl chili fundraiser benefiting different causes every year and decided to donate this year’s proceeds to Nordman instead of past beneficiaries like Dance Marathon or Relay for Life because “it just seemed right to help someone out in our community,” PMA president Frank Kaufhold said.

“Everyone talks about the Northwestern community, and here’s a place where we can show it,” the McCormick junior said. “We look out for each other, we care about each other and we really are that ‘One Northwestern’ that all the T-shirts say.”

This year’s watch party drew about 55 people, including PMA brothers, members of the music sorority Sigma Alpha Iota and friends of the groups’ members. Attendees paid $5 for a bowl of chili, $8 for unlimited refills and $1 for a drink.

Kaufhold said the event typically brings in between $200 and $300. While not a huge segment of the $75,000 Nordman’s family needs, “every little bit counts when it comes to helping someone,” he said.

PMA fundraising chair Cameron Ulmer said the fraternity decided to donate this year’s funds to Nordman after Chi Omega, Nordman’s sorority, asked the chapter to assist with their sale of “Support Josie” wristbands. Ulmer said the timing of their annual event coincided well with campus efforts to support Nordman.

“This is a really unique opportunity to give to something very, very close to home, with a direct impact on our Northwestern, our Greek community,” the Weinberg sophomore said. “It was kind of like a no-brainer for us.”

Since learning about Nordman’s situation, numerous groups across campus have organized fundraisers in her honor, including the Equestrian Club, Chi O, various theater groups and other Greek chapters. Last week Chi O and 22 other organizations raised more than $5,000 selling “Support Josie” wristbands at The Rock, The Arch, Technological Institute and the Kellogg School of Management.

Nordman told The Daily last week that hearing about the wristband sale in her honor made her feel supported by the NU community.

“I guess just that knowing that I’m so appreciated and wanted here and that literally everyone I know is there with me,” she said. “That’s just amazing.”

Weinberg sophomore Shelby Kost, a member of SAI, said she was impressed by the way the NU community has “bought into ‘One Northwestern,’” this year, in light of Nordman’s situation as well as the deaths of Weinberg junior Alyssa Weaver in November and McCormick sophomore Harsha Maddula just before the start of Fall Quarter classes in September.

“To have something like that happen before classes started set a negative tone for the year,” she said. “And no one wanted it to be negative, so everyone’s coming together to try to be positive.”