Blotter: Nov. 28

Chicago resident arrested and charged with retail theft

A 55-year-old Chicago resident attempted to walk out of the Jewel-Osco, 1128 Chicago Ave., without paying for several bags full of baby formula Sunday.

Jewel’s loss prevention officer reported that a man had filled up several bags with baby formula, walked to the south exit and passed the last point of sale without paying at 7:44 a.m. Sunday, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. When the agent stopped the man, he dropped the bags and ran, attempting to flee. The loss prevention officer then detained the man until EPD officers arrived.

The several containers of baby formula have a total value of $337. The Chicago resident was charged with one misdemeanor of retail theft and is scheduled to appear in court on Jan. 2.

Construction company reports defacement on site

A construction company reported to EPD that its building site located in the 1700 block of Ridge Avenue had been criminally defaced.

The company reported spray painting of symbols and lines on numerous surfaces, thought to have been applied sometime between 4:30 p.m. Nov. 21 and 6:30 a.m. Friday, Parrott said. Currently, there is no indication of what the symbols mean.

Suspicious person sighted at Louis Hall during break

University Police received a report that a suspicious man entered Louis Hall on Saturday night but did not exit the building.

The person who reported the incident is not affiliated with the University. He told police he had let a man with long brown hair enter the building, but called police after he checked the building and could not locate him. The caller described the suspicious man as wearing a winter knit cap and appeared to be not clean-shaven.

UP advised the man that he shouldn’t allow unknown people to enter a school building, UP Cmdr. Darren Davis said.

— Ina Yang

View Nov. 29 in a larger map