Clothes lines:Business casual for the young and jobless

Suit up, kids. Whether you’ve already signed on as an all-purpose drudge (intern, for short) or you’re still looking for a way to avoid your parents this summer, a foray into the adult working world means you’re obligated to keep it professional. Clothes don’t make the man (or woman), but they sure make an impression – so let’s get down to business.

Voluntary servitude calls for your best rendition of corporate conformity, but it’s rare to find a college student who isn’t intimidated by the thought of power ties and tweed. Full disclosure: To this style columnist, “business casual” is the most abhorrent phrase in the sartorial dictionary. I don’t want to adhere to a soul-draining palette of gray, white, ivory, ecru and black. I don’t want to be restricted to boxy jackets and modest skirts, and I most certainly don’t want to wear sensible shoes. Give me more Lauren Santo Domingo and less Laura Bush.

Alas, the terror of seeing a co-worker’s unmentionables (or worse) and assuming the responsibility for dozens of dress-code violations prevents me from prescribing workplace-attire anarchy. Stick to the guidelines – at least until you make the rules.

This doesn’t mean you can’t inject some personal style into your nine-to-five life, however. Fetching endless Starbucks orders becomes a little easier to bear when you’re wearing a blazer in tomato red, pastel pink or a hothouse floral (reference: Gaia Repossi at a Dior Haute Joaillerie party in March). Or make like Man Repeller Leandra Medine and shrug on a metallic topper with high-waisted boyfriend trousers and cage shoes. Don’t be afraid to show your true colors: Unless your outfit’s bright enough to burn your boss’s retinas, it won’t be offensive.

Accessories also indicate you’re more than a filing and phone-calling machine. Tone down your usual armful of bangles and friendship bracelets and add a man’s watch instead. Leave the Eddie Borgo and Erickson Beamon baubles at home and choose more delicate or minimalist jewelry. Oversized, heavy-framed spectacles worn un-ironically recall Roger Sterling of “Mad Men,” not a hipster-themed pregame. Leave the ubiquitous patent pump for a pair of pointy cap-toe heels. And trade up your college North Face backpack for a leather model by Theyskens’ Theory. It’s tough to be the new hire, but letting your personality show through shouldn’t be a chore.

Grow up. An internship isn’t strictly business – it’s an opportunity to temporarily quit your day job as a college student to play dress-up for a few months. A more mature mentality and wardrobe is what you make of it, so suit yourself.