New York Times multimedia producer joins Medill faculty

The New York Times’s Zach Wise will be joining the Medill School of Journalism faculty next year as an associate professor.

As of now, it is not clear which course Wise will teach, but he will be co-teaching in the graduate program this summer to work with students in the Interactive Innovation Project.

“We anticipate he’ll be teaching both undergraduates and graduates,” said Mary Nesbitt, associate dean at Medill.

Wise has worked at The New York Times since 2008 and is an award-winning multimedia producer. He has been nominated for an Emmy and won a Peabody award for his multimedia project, “Choosing a President.”

Previously, he was the visiting professor for The School of Visual Communication at Ohio University, where he was the executive producer of the “Soul of Athens” multimedia project. The project later won multiple awards from Pictures of the Year International and National Press Photographers Association’s Best of Photojournalism.

Hiring Wise was part of an ongoing search for three multimedia/interactive professors. Prof. Emily Withrow joined the faculty last September and Wise will join in June. The search for the third professor is ongoing.

“Vacant faculty positions are searched by a faculty committee who make their assessments and recommendations to the dean,” Nesbitt said, “and this one was no exception.”

The faculty and staff will be welcoming Wise this June when he will help teach the Interactive Project to Master of Journalism students and prepare for teaching in the interactive publishing sequence in the fall.