Blotter 3/29: Man pulled from crushed car dies

Man pulled from crushed car dies

A 39-year-old man rescued from his vehicle late Wednesday night in Evanston died a few hours after being taken to the hospital, officials said.

Allswell Osuji, of the 1000 block of West Montrose Avenue in Chicago, was pronounced dead at 11:12 p.m. at Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave., according to a news release from the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

The crash happened at about10 p.m. Wednesday on the corner of Elgin Road and Ewing Avenue. Another driver, whose condition is currently unknown was rescued from a second vehicle and also taken to Evanston Hospital. Emergency crews spent about 18 minutes cutting the vehicle away to remove one of the victims from the wreckage, Evanston fire department Division Chief Tom Janetske said.

Police are still looking into what caused the accident.

Man struck, killed by Metra train

A 76-year-old Evanston man was struck and killed by a northbound Metra train in Wilmette on March 18, police said.

Witnesses reported the man walked onto the tracks and crouched down in front of the train before being killed instantly. The preliminary indication is that the death is a suicide, according to a news release from Wilmette Police Department.

Trains were delayed for45 minutes to an hour and 38 minutes, according to the Metra’s website.

The body was taken to the Cook County medical examiner’s office shortly after the incident.

Babysitting feud breaks out in front of Babylon Foods

Evanston Police arrested a Skokie woman Mar. 17 after she allegedly attacked another woman for refusing to babysit for her child, Evanston Police Cmdr. Tom Guenther said.

Brittany Jones of 8709 N. Harding Ave. in Skokie approached a woman in a black Dodge sedan outside of Babylon Discount Foods, 1618 Emerson St., and began shouting at her for not babysitting her child. The woman in the sedan rolled down her window and Jones pressed on it, breaking the window. The victim came out of the car and was then smacked by Jones, Guenther said.

Upon arriving at the scene, police found a small amount of marijuana on Jones. She was charged with battery, criminal damage to property and possession of marijuana. A court date is scheduled for April 4.

Cab driver robbed of iPod Touch

Two men stole an iPod touch from a cab late Friday evening, police said.

The cab driver picked up two males requesting a ride into Chicago. When the subjects got out to pay, one man distracted the driver while the other subject reached between the seats and grabbed the driver’s iPod Touch. Both subjects then fled the taxi without paying, Guenther said. The driver went to Evanston Police Department, 1454 Elmwood Ave., after the incident. Officers are investigating.

Light pole stolen from Tech construction site

University Police responded to Technological Institute, 2145 Sheridan Road, Wednesday morning after a light pole was reported missing on the construction site, UP Cmdr. Darren Davis said.

At about 7:30 a.m. employees of Harpo Construction disassembled a light pole near the south side of Tech. The light pole was then moved to the north side of the building. Three hours later the pole was reported missing.

NU student arrested for DUI

University Police arrested a Northwestern student early Friday morning for driving under the influence of alcohol, Davis said.

The student was pulling into the parking lot at Engelhart Hall, 1915 Maple Ave., when the student ran into another car. Police stopped the student and found that