Blotter: String of Evanston car burglaries related, police say

String of Evanston car burglaries related, police say

Evanston Police recorded 10 incidents of car burglaries, break-ins and damages over the weekend.

There were reports of seven car burglaries and three incidents of damages from Friday to Sunday.

Some incidents are almost certainly related, Evanston Police Cmdr. Tom Guenther said. Three incidents in the garage at 601 Linden Place are very similar, he said. In two of the incidents a burglar stole specific Honda car parts. The third incident involved a Ford vehicle in which nothing was stolen.

Other incidents occurred on the 600 block of Dodge Avenue, the 1300 block of Sherman Avenue, the 1600 block of Ridge Avenue, the 1000 block of Dewey Avenue, the 1500 block of Greenleaf Street, the 2700 block of Marcy Avenue and the 1900 block of Dempster Street.

Police transport drunk student to hospital after finding her vomiting

The Evanston Fire Department transported a Northwestern student to Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave., after an on-duty police officer discovered the student lying on the ground and vomiting in the 500 block of Clark Street early Sunday morning.

The student told police she had consumed unknown amounts of beer, University Police Deputy Chief Dan McAleer said. She had trouble standing and walking without assistance, he said.

The student was referred to Student Affairs.

Student in Foster-Walker refuses to open door to police

Police referred a student to Student Affairs Sunday evening after the student refused to allow officers to enter her room, McAleer said.

Around 8 p.m., police responded to Foster-Walker Complex, 1927 Orrington Ave., after a Community Assistant making rounds reported the smell of burning marijuana on the second floor of house four, police said.

Police knocked on the door, but the student refused to open the door. The subject was then identified by the Foster-Walker roster and referred to student affairs.

Other students involved in the incident could not be identified, McAleer said.

Electronic key fob reader removed from Delta Zeta sorority house

A person removed the electronic key fob reader from the Delta Zeta house, 717 University Place, sometime early Sunday morning, police said.

When a house cook reported to work at 9 a.m., he noticed that the electronic key fob reader was on the ground with the wiring of the component exposed on the exterior wall of the building, McAleer said. It appeared that an unknown object had hit the electronic key fob reader.

Although police do not know if the act was deliberate or not, they do not suspect any forced entry into the building.

Facilities Management replaced the device.

– Rebecca Gausnell