Northwestern to honor high school teachers

A new project for Northwestern seniors will allow them to turn the tables and write a letter of recommendation for high school teachers they credit with impacting them the most.

And in addition to the symbolic honor, the secondary school teachers who win – up to five each year – will get at least $2,000 and recognition at the University commencement.

The project, co-sponsored by the Associated Student Government and the University president’s office, is set to be formally announced Wednesday, ASG President Claire Lew said.

“This is an opportunity we’re really excited about, considering the effect lots of high school teachers have had on a person going to or graduating from college,” Lew said. “They often aren’t recognized for the work that they do. This is a really wonderful opportunity for them to know how much of an impact they do have.”

Seniors will nominate their high school teachers and a committee will choose no more than five of them to receive awards ranging between $2,000 and $3,000. An additional gift, also between $2,000 and $3,000, will be donated to their respective schools. Those selected will also be recognized during commencement in June.

“It would be something great to incorporate into graduation, to bring in someone for the seniors who was so important four years ago,” said Josh Wasserman, who brought the idea to the attention of Lew and the president’s office last Spring Quarter.

Although barred from nominating a teacher himself because of his position on the selection committee, Wasserman can easily recall his favorite high school teacher. It was his sophomore year math teacher, who was also his tennis coach and helped influence his decision to become a computer engineering and economics major, he said.

The president’s office is in the process of developing a website for nomination materials, which will be ready by next week at the latest, Wasserman said. All graduating seniors should expect to get an e-mail once it is ready.

Wasserman said he first approached University President Morton Schapiro and his wife about it because there is a similar program at Williams College every year, called the George Olmsted, Jr. Prize for Excellence in Secondary School Teaching.

Schapiro will front the cash award for the first year, Lew said.

Wasserman said the university considered similar programs already in place at Princeton University and Dartmouth College in formulating their own.

In order to nominate someone, graduating seniors must write a statement detailing the effects the teacher had on them in high school and how that has translated into their experiences at NU.

Nominations are due to the selection committee by Nov. 24. The president’s office will post all application materials online and students can submit their nominations there.

The selection committee consists of Assistant to the President Eugene Lowe, administrators, faculty members and four students. Lowe appointed Lew, Wasserman, Michael Gebhardt and Beth Lynk to review their peers’ submissions.

Gebhardt said he is excited to read the nominations, saying he expects far from ordinary candidates to select from.

“We don’t expect people to get involved on a whim,” the Weinberg senior said. “But I think those students who did have those relationships and defining moments will be very interested in participating.”