Movie Reviews: Toy Story 3, Cyrus, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Toy Story 3Pixar brings yet another hit with the third installation of the Toy Story series. Andy is all grown up and heading off to college, but Woody and the rest of the toys remain as loyal as ever. When a misunderstanding lands the gang in a day care ruled under the commands of the power-hungry Lots-o’-Huggin’ Bear, they must devise a plan to get back to Andy. Pixar’s ingenuity, creativity and loyalty to its characters pay a well-due tribute to the franchise that launched the animation studio powerhouse and gave it the reputation it has today. An emotional ending scene will leave members of the audience wanting more but feeling satisfied with the last movie of the beloved series. Toy Story 3 will have both children and adults laughing throughout, and by the end, crying.

Grade: A+

CyrusIn this summer comedy, John (John C. Reilly) is a divorced and unhappy slob with no prospects for love until he meets Molly (Marisa Tomei). The only thing standing in the way of their blossoming romance is Molly’s son, Cyrus (Jonah Hill), a twenty-something who still lives at home and seems to have a mild case of Oedipus complex. John and Cyrus must battle it out to win over the woman they both love. Reilly delivers as John, reminding the audience that he is more than just the comedic actor from Step Brothers or Walk Hard. And better known for his roles in slapstick comedies, Hill shows promise as a budding dramatic actor.

Grade: B+

The Twilight Saga: EclipseThe global vampire phenomenon is back with a film that will be one of the summer’s hottest-but not because it’s actually good. Edward (Robert Pattinson), a vampire, and Bella (Kristen Stewart) are more in love than ever, but things get complicated with Jacob (Taylor Lautner), a werewolf, in the picture. Will the mortal enemies be able to cooperate in the midst of a crisis involving a newborn vampire army? While the action scenes are entertaining, the plot is predictable and the actors’ awkwardness can be unbearable to watch. The three stars of the film prove yet again that they are more pretty faces and sculpted bodies than talented actors and actresses.

Grade: C

– Yoonie Yang