Baseball: While You Were Gone-‘Backbone’ injured, Cats struggle to get on top in close contests

Northwestern learned about being on the wrong side of close games last season, compiling a 5-10 record in one-run games. So far 2010 hasn’t proven different, as the Wildcats have gone 1-5 in games decided by one run.

This is especially troubling considering that since their opening weekend in South Carolina, most of the Cats’ contests have been close-eight of NU’s last 16 games have been decided by three runs or less.

“The most surprising thing (this season) is probably how many close games we’ve lost,” sophomore pitcher Francis Brooke said. “Last year, we lost a lot of close games and kind of made it one of the things we wanted to focus on, win close games.”

For NU (6-17), winning close games could start with striking first. The Cats are .500 (6-6) in games when they’ve scored before their opponents. But when the other team scores first, the Cats’ record dips to 0-11.

Another possible reason for NU’s close-contest struggles is the number of runners it has left in scoring position. In those eight games decided by three runs or less, the Cats compiled a 2-6 record. NU averaged six runners left on base in the two wins and eight runners left on base in the six losses. To make matters worse, catcher Chad Noble­-whom coach Paul Stevens called the “backbone” of the team-has missed seven games due to injury. Noble dislocated a finger on his throwing hand while sliding into a base in Las Vegas. Since the injury, Stevens has played Noble at various positions, including second base, right field and designated hitter, to see if he could contribute without further injuring his hand. On March 25 against Stetson, Stevens played Noble at designated hitter, but the senior’s struggles continued. Noble struck out in his only appearance at the plate.

“He had one at-bat, then we had to take him out,” Stevens said. “It just wasn’t working.” There’s no telling what Noble could have done for the Cats in their close games. The 6-foot-1, 195-pounder has hit .375 and knocked nine extra-base hits this season. Noble shares the team lead in batting average with designated hitter Paul Snieder, who admits it’s tough without the team’s only senior starter.

“Of course it’s going to affect you when you don’t have pretty much your best hitter playing,” the sophomore said. “But we’ve toughed through it.”

Snieder has collected hits in 15 of the team’s last 16 games, and he credits his success to swinging at better pitches earlier in the count. Stevens agrees, saying, “Paul’s brought in here to swing the bat … and that’s what he’s been doing.”

NU is also missing the presence of senior utility player Kenneth Avila, who was expected to start. Avila took a different direction and is no longer with the team, said Stevens.Freshman centerfielder Arby Fields has also stepped up for NU, going 7-for-19 as the leadoff hitter in the Cats’ last four games.

“I’ve been batting leadoff my whole life,” the freshman said. “I love being the first person to go up to bat and start the game off with a hit-get the team going.”

Another young player enjoying success is Brooke, who fanned 26 batters in 41.2 innings over seven appearances. The sophomore pitched himself into a starting role and has compiled three wins and a 3.46 ERA.

Though Brooke struggled against Stetson in Florida, letting up eight earned runs in 6.1 innings, Stevens said he expects Brooke to continue his success heading into conference play against Ohio State next weekend. The Cats went 1-2 against the Buckeyes last season, including a 5-4 loss in the series opener. Though the one-run trend has continued in 2010, Stevens is confident in his team’s play.

“Right now, I’m not happy with our record,” Stevens said. “But I’m definitely happy with the way that we’re starting to play, the way we’re starting to pitch and the way we’re hitting.”[email protected]