Women’s Basketball: 13 first half turnovers trip up NU in East Lansing, MSU sweeps season series

Northwestern has become too familiar with Michigan State’s physical style of play. Two years ago, the Spartans outrebounded the Wildcats 92-66 in two games. Two weeks ago, Michigan State (17-8, 8-6) committed almost twice as many fouls as NU (14-11, 5-9) in the squads’ first matchup.

On Sunday the story was much the same. Michigan State’s stout defense troubled the Wildcats, and the Spartans took advantage of NU’s 13 first-half turnovers to seize a commanding 11-point lead at the half. It proved an insurmountable advantage, and even after a much-improved second half the Cats fell 68-55.

“You can’t spot a team like Michigan State an 11-point lead at home and expect to erase it,” coach Joe McKeown said.

The turnovers came early and often for NU. The Cats committed one on three of their first four possessions. Each of these miscues led to points for the Spartans, and Michigan State jumped out to an early 8-0 lead.

“They try to intimidate people, and it works sometimes,” freshman forward Kendall Hackney said. “We were getting a little flustered. We were all just kind of throwing it away and not slowing down.”

In addition to stellar play on defense, Michigan State shot 50 percent from the field in the opening 10 minutes while racking up 22 points. The Spartans relied heavily on their bench throughout the game, and the Michigan State subs came through. Led by backup center Lauren Aitch, who contributed nine points, the Spartans’ bench players combined for 18 points in the first half. In the second stanza Michigan State’s reserves added 15 more points.

“They’re probably the deepest team in our league,” McKeown said.

After the intermission center Amy Jaeschke put the team on her back, scoring 10 of NU’s first 12 points. But the junior was forced to the bench midway through the half after picking up her fourth foul, and without her in the game the Spartans went on a 7-0 run.

Jaeschke, who finished with 20 points, got some much-needed help from Hackney down low. Before the game McKeown mentioned the need for a post presence besides Jaeschke, and Hackney filled that role on Sunday. Against a Michigan State squad with nine players taller than six feet, the freshman recorded 14 points and eight boards.

“Because the defense collapses on (Jaeschke) that frees me up because my man tends to double her,” Hackney said. “Then I’m usually open for the kick out.”

Outside of Jaeschke, Hackney and senior guard Kristin Cartwright-who finished with nine points and 10 rebounds-the Cats had trouble finding the basket. Noticeably absent from the box score was sophomore forward Brittany Orban, NU’s second-leading scorer only played 17 minutes, recording four fouls and no points.

“Size-wise these are hard matchup games for Brittany,” McKeown said. “It’s hard for her to create a shot against some of those players.”

The Cats’ contest in East Lansing, Mich., was the fifth road matchup in their last seven games. While NU split its two home games, it went 1-4 on the road. In those losses away from Welsh-Ryan Arena, the Cats scored more than 60 points once.

The four schools left on NU’s schedule are Indiana, Iowa, Ohio State and Illinois-all teams that have beaten the Cats this season. With postseason hopes on the brink, NU knows how important these games are.

“We’re playing well, but things haven’t been falling for us,” Hackney said. “They’ll fall at home.”[email protected]