Women’s Soccer: NU fails to make NCAA tournament

For the first time since 2005, Northwestern did not play in the Big Ten Tournament, but it’s not the players’ fault. Instead, the Wildcats have fallen victim to a decision made by Big Ten coaches to cancel the tournament.

The conference tournament had been held since 1994, with the top eight teams in the conference earning a bid. The winner was awarded the Big Ten championship and given an automatic berth into the NCAA tournament.

The Cats won three of their last five games to finish seventh in the Big Ten. If the tournament were still in effect, NU would have matched up against No. 2 Ohio State in the first round. It would have been an intriguing matchup, especially after the battle the two teams waged just more than a month ago.

On Oct. 11, NU traveled to Ohio State and held the Buckeyes scoreless until the 90th minute, when Lauren Granberg gave the Buckeyes a 1-0 win.

“Ohio State was one of our best games when it comes to battling and competing,” coach Stephanie Erickson said, following the loss. “We just made ourselves competitive. We were in position to win the game for 89 minutes, and we finally gave out in the last minute of the game.”

The tournament would have given the Cats one last chance at a NCAA bid. Instead, their season is over.

“We would’ve been in (to the Big Ten Tournament), but we’re playing for bigger than that,” Erickson said. “We want to get into the NCAA tournament, and we had a schedule that set us up nicely. We just need to take care of business more consistently.”

The Big Ten Tournament was never kind to the Cats. NU went 2-10-1 in conference tournament games, and is one of three teams to never to win the crown.

NU has not made the NCAA Tournament since 1998.FIVE BIG TEN TEAMS MAKE NCAA TOURNAMENT

Penn State, Michigan State, Purdue, Ohio State and Wisconsin were selected to compete in this year’s NCAA tournament.

Wisconsin is the only team still alive. Michigan State, Purdue and Ohio State were eliminated in the first round, and Penn State was eliminated in the second round.

The Cats played well against the teams that reached the tournament. NU defeated Michigan State at home, and lost in the 90th minute to both Ohio State and Wisconsin. It lost by a goal to Purdue, and lost 2-0 at Penn State.

In all likelihood, the Cats were a couple plays or wins short of the NCAA tournament. STAR CENTER BACK MAKES ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM

NU freshman defender Briana Westlund earned a spot on the Big Ten All-Freshman Team for her performance in 2009. She played every minute at center back and helped lead a defense that gave up just five goals in its last six games.

She was the only freshman in the Big Ten to not miss a minute for her team during this season.

“It’s a testament to her maturity. It’s a testament to her previous coaches that enabled her to step right in (at NU),” assistant coach Danielle Slaton said in October. “It’s a tough role because our conference is a competitive conference, and anybody can win any game.”

Westlund has done more than just stay in the game. As the season progressed, she took the lead when it came to free kicks.

“I don’t think (her strength at free kicks) was something we knew, so that’s been an additional pleasant surprise,” Erickson said. “Her serves are really consistent and they have the distance that we need.”

Westlund’s selection marks the seventh straight year NU has had a player named to the All-Freshman team.

With the departure of senior Ali Rubnitz, Westlund will be one of the leaders of a young Wildcats defense next year. If she plays anything like this season, NU’s defense will continue where it left off.WILL THE WILDCATS MUSTER ANY OFFENSE NEXT YEAR?

One of the big themes of the 2009 season for NU was its inability to score. The Cats finished last in the Big Ten in goals with 15. The next-worst teams finished with 20.

Erickson told the DAILY in early October, “Goals have not been easy for us to come by.” In many ways, this statement defined the season for the Wildcats.

As hard as this year was for the offense, it may be even tougher next year. The three top goal-scorers from this season, Alicia Herczeg, Jessica Palo, and Kay Sampson, will all graduate this spring.

Losing Herczeg will be particularly tough to deal with. She scored six of the Cats’ 15 goals this season.

Junior Sam Greene will likely be the cornerstone of next year’s offense. She struggled this season, notching one goal and two assists, but has showed promise in past years. She scored three goals and four assists in her freshman year, and then had a banner year in 2008, with three goals and eight assists.

Caroline Dagley will be another important component. The junior forward had a strong finish to her year, notching five points in her final eight games of the 2009 season, including a game-winning goal in the Cats’ Senior Night win over Illinois.TOP MOMENTS

Following is a list of the top five moments from this year’s women’s soccer season: 5. After starting 0-3-1, the Cats finally get their first win of the season when senior Kay Sampson scores a game-winner in overtime against Loyola.

4. Caroline Dagley’s second-half goal leads NU to a 1-0 victory on Senior Night against Illinois. The Cats win despite getting outshot 13-6.

3. The Cats come back from an early 2-0 deficit in Ann Arbor, Mich., scoring two goals in less than six minutes of play. Caroline Dagley picks up the assist on both goals, as NU and Michigan ended up tied at two after 110 minutes of play.

2. NU defeats Iowa in dramatic fashion, when Jessica Palo scores just more than one minute into overtime to give the Cats their only Big Ten road win of the season.

1. The Cats pull out their biggest upset of the season, defeating then No. 19 Indiana at Lakeside Field. Alicia Herczeg scores the winning goal for [email protected]