Field Hockey: Cats play close with Iowa, fall in OT

For nearly 78 minutes, No. 19 Northwestern traded missed opportunities with Iowa as the momentum swapped back and forth.

When it appeared the momentum may have finally swung back in the Wildcats’ direction, the Hawkeyes swooped in to take the victory.

Iowa scored a short-handed goal eight minutes into overtime to pick up a 1-0 win over NU on Friday at Lakeside Field.

“We left it all out on the field,” senior forward Elizabeth Dobbs said. “It wasn’t either team that dominated. It was an even game, and we hustled our hearts out. Sometimes it doesn’t fall your way. In overtime, it’s anyone’s game.”

It looked to be Iowa’s game for much of the overtime period. The Hawkeyes got a solid look 40 seconds into the bonus period, but NU defender Stacy Uchida jumped in front of the shot, blocking the ball with her body.

Midway through overtime – which is seven-on-seven, instead of the traditional 11-on-11 format ­­- an Iowa player received a yellow card and mandatory five-minute penalty, giving NU an advantage.

But the Hawkeyes earned a penalty corner on the same play as the yellow card was not awarded until the next stoppage in play. On the ensuing corner, Iowa’s Tricia Dean sent a one-timer flying past NU goalie Katie Lynch.

“We wanted to play poised and composed and smart hockey, and we definitely did that,” Uchida said. “They just got a few more opportunities than we did. In a short amount of time with that few players, every opportunity is huge.”

Both teams had plenty of opportunities throughout the game, but neither was able to find the back of the net in regulation.

Iowa controlled the ball for the majority of the first half, attempting eight shots to NU’s three.

The Hawkeyes had another chance halfway through the second period, but the team missed a wide-open net.

Four minutes later, NU (12-6, 1-4 Big Ten) started a string of scoring chances. The team had a handful of penalty corners and several rebound opportunities, but none reached the back of the cage.

NU drew a dozen penalty corners in the game but was unable to finish on any of them.

“We had 12 corners, and you’ve got to be at least 2-for-12,” coach Tracey Fuchs said. “Today we just didn’t put it together. To draw 12 corners against Iowa is really, really good. You just need to put some of those away.”

It was the first time this season NU, the nation’s eighth-best scoring team, has been shut out.

Following the loss, NU is tied with Penn State for last place in the Big Ten standings. The Cats have suffered two consecutive one-goal defeats.

With the conference tournament two weeks away, NU will be looking to build momentum against Ohio State next Saturday.

“No game is a must-win game, but it’s definitely one we’d love to have as a team,” Dobbs said. “Really, we feel like we’ve been doing a lot better this season than our record in the Big Ten’s been showing. We just need to stay strong and keep our heads up.”[email protected]