Editorial: Medill Innocence Project blurs line between student, journalist

Where is the line between student and journalist? It seems to be shades of gray with the Cook County state attorney’s office issuing subpoenas for students’ interviews, grades, off-the-record notes and e-mails for the Medill Innocence Project.

As students in the investigative reporting class, federal policy protects the privacy of their grades. As journalists, the Illinois Reporter’s Privilege Act defends their off-the-record notes. But prosecutors, suspicious of pressure on students to prove the innocence of Anthony McKinney for a better grade in the class, argue students are unprotected by reporter’s privileges in this situation.

The issue begs the question: How much of a student and how much of a journalist is a “student journalist?” Student journalists should be entitled to these ethical rights. Compared to journalists, student reporters do the same reporting, hold themselves to the same standard – ever heard of the Medill F? – and seek the same truths. But they’re still learning, too.

It may be unfair to insist these journalists fall under both umbrellas. We reap the benefits of the two but we also assume double the responsibilities: Yes, we strive for grades, but we work just as hard to report the facts. The ever-present pressure for the “A” does not mean we will violate either our academic or our professional integrity. Remember, we can also fail classes for cheating.

This applies even outside of Medill, where the line between academia and the real world is similarly sketchy. Consider student researchers: They assist a professor in research, get graded and are credited in the published study. Or student filmmakers: They produce original, graded shorts for class and screen them later at local festivals.

The DAILY editorial board, comprised of both non-journalism majors and Medill students, could not decide if members of the investigative reporting class should be considered students, journalists or a combination. Vote on our online poll to share your thoughts: Should students hand over off-the-record notes, or do they fall under the reporter’s rights?