Tower plan moves onto final vote

The stage is set for the Evanston City Council to finally approve a disputed downtown tower.

The Planning and Development Committee voted 6-3 Tuesday to introduce the proposal for a 35-story Fountain Square tower at 708 Church St. to the city council. Ald. Steven Bernstein (4th), Ald. Melissa Wynne (3rd) and Ald. Elizabeth Tisdahl (7th) cast the dissenting votes.

The committee approved a modified version of the tower proposal with new public benefits – a plan submitted to the committee last month. Council members tabled the original proposal in May 2008 until the Downtown Plan had been approved.

Although the council approved the Downtown Plan last month, it has not been enacted yet. To achieve the maximum building height limit, the tower would not have to meet the public benefits outlined in the plan.

Bernstein said he did not understand why.

“In my mind, we should be doing it pursuant to the Downtown Plan,” he said.

Some members of the committee said Bernstein, who has expressed his opposition to the project in the past, was trying to delay voting on the new ordinance.

“If this evening is going to be an evening of attempts to delay and drag our feet,” said Ald. Ann Rainey (8th), “I think you do us a disservice in your golden years on this council.”

In contrast to previous meetings, a sizeable contingent of residents who supported the tower project was present.

“It’s not the time to reject any kind of economic stimulus,” Evanston resident Muffy McAuley said. “It’s not just about this project. It’s about a message that you’re sending out to the business community in the Chicagoland area.”

Still, most residents at the meeting did not support the proposal.

Tower opponents cited the downturn in the condominium market, aesthetic problems and perceived impropriety in the approval process.

“I would like to know what this council thinks it’s doing putting all of its eggs into condominiums and not maintaining doctors and lawyers in downtown Evanston,” resident Jane Woolley said.

Rainey said there is nothing wrong with tall buildings and some of Evanston’s least attractive buildings are short. She blamed Ald. Melissa Wynne (3rd) for many of these “ugly buildings.”

Her assertion drew comments and grumbles from residents.

“I’m trying to have a conversation with my colleague,” responded Rainey. “I’m not talking to you.”

Many residents, including candidates in the upcoming April municipal election, asked the council to pass the decision to the next council.

Current council members rejected the idea.

“When I got elected my job was for four years,” said Ald. Anjana Hansen (9th), who is not seeking reelection. “I didn’t stop doing this job when I decided not to get elected.”

The economic climate was a major factor in the many of the aldermen’s decisions.

“I’m not expecting the market to improve noticeably by 2010,” Ald. Elizabeth Tisdahl (7th) said. “I’m not seeing what you all are seeing in the market projections to drive you to vote yes. I hope to God I’m wrong.”