Show offers ‘Meditations’ on African culture

Swaying to the beat of rhythmic drums, a group of dancers moved across the stage in Norris University Center’s McCormick Auditorium, sweeping their arms in exaggerated motions as their feet pounded against the wooden floor. Performing a celebratory dance from the Beyla region of Guinea, the 11 dancers and five drummers kicked off NU’s African Drum and Dance Ensemble’s third annual Spring Show.

“We wanted to share Africa with everyone to show how dynamic and eccentric Africa is and how complex it is,” said group president Aziza Walker, a Communication senior. Walker began preparing for the show over the summer and spent the past week practicing until 11 p.m. with other members of NU’s African Drum and Dance Ensemble.

“It’s an opportunity to connect Africa with the rest of the world,” she said.

The show, with the theme “Meditations on Africa,” included 11 acts, ranging from a high-energy “Gumboot” dance performed by choreographed dancers to an intimate, slow African Tango dance called “The Daydream.” The show also included guest performances by NU’s Deeva Dance Troupe and NAYO Black Dance Ensemble, as well as Evanston-based group S.O.U.L. Creations.

“Music is not something where you go and lock yourself in a practice room for three hours,” Music senior Catherine Barnes told the audience of students, family members and local residents. “It’s about the people, the energy and community… it’s like a breath of fresh air.”

The dance and drum acts, choreographed by professional dancers Toni Bark, Sheelah Muhammad and Meccasia Zabriskie, also featured traditional African outfits and dresses. Music graduate student Javon Johnson emceed the event and helped maintain the audience’s energy and enthusiasm.

The show incorporated both political and cultural aspects to raise awareness of issues of drought, HIV/AIDS and famine in Africa. A slide show detailing cultural and historical facts about parts of Africa, which was played between the dance and drum acts, caught the audience’s attention.

“I really liked all the dancing, but the footage of Kenya was really powerful,” said Weinberg freshman Nikki Okrah.

Music senior Blake Walker, who spent the past summer in Senegal, taught audience members how to make a “kora,” a large harp native to the Jalis in West Africa.

“When you mention African music to most Americans, they think of drums,” Walker said. “But there are so many parallels of music all over Africa.”

During the final act of the show, “Kpanlogo,” the performers ran offstage and encouraged audience members to go onstage and dance to the beat created by high-energy drummers.

“I thought it was a great way to get the audience involved,” said Weinberg junior Arlene Alvarez. “I had a great time getting on stage to dance.”

After the show ended, the dancers and audience members mingled together in the Dittmar Gallery.

“(African Drum and Dance Ensemble) brings together a lot of students from different communities at Northwestern,” said Aziza Walker. “It brings together a whole bunch of people that don’t normally hang out together. That’s the best part.”