Columnists wanted, inquire within

For most Americans, the most important race in the country is currently playing out on our television screens and in our newspapers. As of right now, three candidates are vying for the nation’s most coveted position – President of the United States of America.

For Northwestern students, another race is about to begin. This most coveted position takes strength, guts and the ability to perform under pressure. This race is for Daily columnists. Only five will survive and gain fame and fortune as a columnist. These individuals must be literary adventurers ready to muse on a moment’s notice.

Columns must be creative. Columns must be daring. Columns must delve into the depths of humanity to show readers the good, the bad and the ugly.

Any conceivable topic should be thoroughly explored. From an ode to Norris University Center’s Buffalo Chicken Wrap to a political manifesto that rivals Marx’s “Das Kapital,” we want to hear it all.

Don’t be shy or stay away from unpopular opinions. If you really think that NU should create an underwater observatory in Lake Michigan, come out and say it.

Be tough. You will get hate mail. It happens. Deal with it.

Be funny. Readers will forward your columns to their friends and family, and you’re somewhat less likely to get hate mail.

Be original. Come up with a plan to eradicate pollution in Evanston by funding horse riding as the main mode of transportation.

Be sexy. Now not only do you get to write a column, but your beautiful face will be featured in regular podcasts on dailynorthwestern.com.

Be outrageous. Tell the readers about your scarring first time experience at the Deuce.

But don’t be too sleazy. Save that for The Weekly’s Social Diary.

Being a Daily columnist comes with more perks that you can imagine. In the past, our columnists have been offered hot dates and free beer by their adoring fans. One was also interviewed by the Chicago Tribune and National Public Radio.

A good columnist can be found anywhere. Not in Medill? Don’t be discouraged – neither am I. In Medill? Apply and show off your mastery of the written word.

If you think you have what it takes to be a spectacular columnist, please submit two previously unpublished 550-word sample columns, a 150-word bio which will be published for all to read if you are selected and five potential column ideas to [email protected] by March 14.

We periodically need more cartoonists, so if you’re more the drawing, brooding artist type, send us some examples of your cartoons. You too could be published in The Daily.

So get ready, the race is about to begin.

– Talia AlbertsSpring Quarter Forum Editor