For the love of Joey Potter, settle the strike

Confession: I am a television addict. I watch ridiculous amounts of television almost every night. I’d like to tell you it’s all quality TV, but that would be a flat out lie.Anything from Entourage to Heroes to Gossip Girl, I am ready and willing to digitally record.

I have come to believe that the quality of “art” on television is constantly evolving and that some shows (especially on HBO and Showtime) are actually higher art than many films being produced today.

Television is about to take a massive hit. The Writers Guild strike will have major effects on all the television lovers of the world. As a film major and an LA native, this breaks my heart.

Here’s a brief summary of what the strike is all about. Screenwriters are trying to secure better residuals for their work that is being distributed on the Internet, or other new media sources such as cell phones and iPods.

For those of us who are fans of the late night shows, the strike will first impact late night television where writers are key to these daily productions. Leno, The Daily Show, Conan, The Colbert Report have already gone to reruns. It will take a couple weeks before the strike effects most sitcoms and dramas since they are typically shooting a few episodes ahead of what is running. The movie industry will likely not feel a direct impact until sometime in 2008.

The most recent WGA strike in 1988 lasted 22 weeks and cost the industry approximately $500 million, according to the Los Angeles Times. The current strike began Monday morning and so there is still hope that the issues between the corporations and the WGA will be resolved in a much more timely fashion, though no talks are currently scheduled.

Many actors are supporting the strike, even though they technically are not allowed out of their contracts until June. There have been rumors that actors and directors joining the strike if it continues into next year.

Possible side effects of the strike include a rise in reality TV shows and online entertainment. Depending on the length of the strike, it could completely demolish next year’s pilot season. While I don’t have anything against reality television (especially Beauty and the Geek), I think it would be tragic to lose scripted television.

Digital distribution is a tricky issue that the music industry has already been dealing with for years. I won’t claim to be any sort of expert, but it does seem logical that artists should get paid when their work is legally purchased through iTunes or shown with commercials on websites.

In the upcoming weeks, as you watch your last new episodes of Grey’s, Lost, The Office or whatever your TV fascination is, take a moment to appreciate the writing of those talented artists picketing on the street. I for one will be hoping that this is resolved quickly and fairly. If not, we should all be prepared to settle in for a winter full of America’s Next Top Model and Dawson’s Creek reruns.

Communication sophomore Talia Alberts is a PLAY pop culture columnist. She can be reached at [email protected].