Coming out of the (Fall Out Boy fan) closet

In the spirit of this week’s cover story, I’ve got a secret to tell. Actually, this is no real secret that I’m about tell. I was once loud and proud about it, to be honest. It’s not to say that I’ve grown ashamed or anything. But things tend to change when you least expect them to.

So, I’ll just come out and say it: I’m a really big Fall Out Boy fan. That’s right. I’ve been listening to these guys since I moved to Chicago and I haven’t stopped. I met Pete Wentz pre-Ashlee (fortunately).

I was the ultimate fangirl when I interviewed Patrick Stump for PLAY my sophomore year. I’ve spent countless hours in line at various Chicago venues, waiting to see them play live for only a hour and a half. I own all their albums, five t-shirts (from the five separate shows I’ve seen so far), a hoodie and countless other memorabilia.

My Fall Out Boy fandom used to be one of the most commonly known facts about me. I was known as that girl, even by people I didn’t know that well.

So what’s so great about Fall Out Boy? Depends on who you ask. For me, they were one of the few things I could rely on to get through a bad day for the first couple of years here at NU. I had a hard time moving so far away from home and FOB became one of the few things that helped me deal.

This probably makes me a bit emo. I’ve been accused of it before. And Fall Out Boy’s old stuff more often than not falls under said category. But with homesickness and relationship woes, lyrics like “Stop burning bridges/And drive off of them/So I can forget about you” were pretty relatable at the time.

I’ve managed to stick with these guys since 2004. Even when they “sold out” by signing with Island/Def Jam. Even when the 12 year-olds started replacing the older fanbase at shows. Even when their sound almost completely changed (for better or worse is still up for debate). And even when Pete Wentz became a complete and total douche (or at least look like one, all the time). Yes, I somehow love them still.

The point of this is, why I don’t necessarily think my fandom has faded, it has calmed down. Why? Maybe it’s age that’s gotten to me. A part of me does think it’s a little stilly to be 21 and proclaim to be one of their big fans. Or I might not just need them as much I did before.

Think what you like. I’ve been made well aware of the stigma that comes along with even admitting that you think Fall Out Boy is decent. Some of you probably rolled your eyes five different times while reading this if you haven’t skipped over it completely. But this won’t change anything for me. I’ve learned to take unnecessary negative comments with a grain of salt. Bash them if you think it makes your music look better in comparison. None of will that take the poster off my wall or their music out of my iPod. I’m a Fall Out Boy fan; no longer loud, still just as proud.

Medill senior Dani Garcia is the PLAY editor. She can be reached at [email protected].