Cha-cha diva’ happy to be Latina role model

For one night only, Northwestern became a little bit more glamorous, and, in Tyra Banks’ words, “fierce.”

Jaslene Gonzalez, winner of season eight of “America’s Next Top Model,” spoke Thursday night in Cahn Auditorium to help celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month.

The event was organized by Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. and co-sponsored by the Office of Hispanic/Latino Student Affairs and featured a positive message for Latina women.

“Represent yourself as a woman of integrity and excellence and no one can judge you for that,” Gonzalez said.

The sorority’s Vice President Jessica Lozada, a Communication junior, said she grew up in Humboldt Park, located on the northwest side of Chicago, with Gonzalez and that the two were childhood friends. Gonzalez attended the event to talk about her heritage as well as her experience on America’s Next Top Model, Lozada said.

“Our main focus was for her to speak about her journey, but also more about her identity as a Latina on television,” Lozada said.

The 21-year-old model said at times she felt pressure to “be a cha-cha diva,” but that in the end her attitude helped her get noticed. In winning season eight, Gonzalez became the first Latina to win America’s Next Top Model.

Gonzalez first tried out for the seventh season of the show, but she didn’t make the cut. Gonzalez said an abusive relationship with a boyfriend was to blame for her dismissal from the show, and that producers asked her to see a therapist and return to the competition when she was emotionally ready. Gonzalez returned the next season – and won.

“I’m glad to stand here as a survivor (of an abusive relationship) and say, ‘Yes, I went through it, but it didn’t stop me,'” Gonzalez said.

At the event, the Beta Psi chapter of Lambda Theta Alpha collected donations for Between Friends, a nonprofit organization dedicated to ending domestic violence.

The model also discussed more light-hearted topics, including fashion, food and meeting her idol, actress and singer Jennifer Lopez.

“It’s a fabulous life, but it’s also a very hard job,” Gonzalez said. “So many people are looking up to you, and as a Latina, I feel like I have a whole community looking up to me.”

Instead of speaking from the podium, Gonzalez took a seat on the stage and tried to make her presentation a conversation with the audience. When a student asked if Gonzalez would teach her the model’s signature walk, Gonzalez invited the student on stage and demonstrated the runway walk.

Weinberg sophomore Ronak Vashi said she came to the event because she is an avid fan of America’s Next Top Model and because she loved watching Gonzalez on season eight.

“She’s definitely a great role model because you can tell she’s normal and not trying to be fake,” Vashi said.

Esperanza Salgado, a Weinberg junior, said she watched the season and has volunteered in Humboldt Park, the neighborhood where Gonzalez grew up. Salgado said she thought Gonzalez was an inspiring speaker.

“She’s a Latina who’s putting her face out there and getting recognized for doing great (things),” Salgado said.

Reach Talia Alberts at [email protected].