Some city streets will get bike lanes starting this week

Unwelcome on the sidewalks, pushed off the streets, bicycle riders in many parts of Evanston have long been in limbo.

But this week, all that may change, as work is set to begin on bike lanes across the city and on several streets near Northwestern, city engineer Rajeev Dahal said.

“We want to make it safer for the bicyclists and give warning to the motorists and let them know they need to share the road,” Dahal said.

Evanston has one of the highest levels of bike ridership in the area, he said. But cyclists are prohibited from riding their bikes on the sidewalks in downtown Evanston.

“Sidewalk bicycling in areas of pedestrian concentration is dangerous for both pedestrians and bicyclists,” states a recommendation in the city’s 2002 bicycle improvement plan.

Communication sophomore Dashiell Oatman rides his bike in Evanston and around campus throughout the week, but said he does not always pay attention to the city’s biking rules.

“I end up riding on the sidewalk,” he said. “It’s a hazard in traffic and a hazard on the sidewalk. It’s illegal on the sidewalk, too.”

The new project, which should cost less than $300,000, is about 80 percent federally funded, Dahal said. The new bike lane markings and route signs are expected to be complete by the end of November, he said.

Locations of the new lanes near campus will include Lake Street from Chicago Avenue to Maple Street, and Emerson Street from Canal Street to Wesley Avenue. Other locations will include Dodge Avenue from Howard to Church streets, Asbury Avenue from Oakton to Main streets, and Chicago Avenue from Howard Street to South Boulevard.

Reach Annie Martin at [email protected].