San Diego Signs Roach To Contract (NFL Draft)

By Chris GentilvisoThe Daily Northwestern

A 38-point comeback defeat, marking the largest defensive collapse in Division I-A college football history.

A 12-week recovery program for a college career-ending broken leg injury, suffered at the brunt of a toe caught in the turf on a punt return.

A month-long period of calls and workouts with several NFL teams.

While his college career ended 190 days ago, Northwestern linebacker Nick Roach wondered if all the emotion, work and anticipation would lead to his goal of reaching the pros.

After the seventh round of the 2007 NFL Draft was complete, the San Diego Chargers provided Roach with his answer. The West Coast powerhouse signed him to an undrafted free agent contract, with terms yet to be released.

“They seemed to like me a lot and didn’t bring anyone in at my position,” Roach said. “It seemed like the best fit.”

The four-year letter winner will join former Wildcats defensive line standout Luis Castillo on a defense that ranked seventh in the NFL in 2006. Castillo has racked up 87 tackles and 10.5 sacks since the Chargers selected him in the first round of the 2005 NFL draft.

“I’m real excited,” Roach said. “I knew that they had a great defense and exciting players. Luis will show me the ropes about playing for that great defense.”

For just the second time since 1996, no Cats were drafted in the seven rounds. But when the final round began, Roach’s agent Josh Wright received a call from San Diego. The team told Wright they intended to use their last pick on the former NU defender, or sign him at the draft’s conclusion.

With the 240th pick in their hand, the Chargers took a linebacker. But it wasn’t Roach, as the defending AFC West champions scooped up Brandon Siler of the national champion Florida Gators.

As for nerves when his name wasn’t called at that point, Roach said he was confident that the chance would come.

“I was on the phone with some other teams,” he said. “(San Diego) wasn’t my last option, but it turned out to be my best option.”

Those other teams included Cleveland, Dallas, New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco and the hometown Chicago Bears – all expressing similar late-round interest.

Under new head coach Norv Turner, who is known for his offense, Roach’s play would fall heavily under the eyes of veteran defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell. Cottrell has seen former members of NU’s linebacking corps before, working with six-year-pro Napoleon Harris for the last two seasons with the Minnesota Vikings. Harris racked up 334 tackles in his four years in Evanston (1998-2001).

Prior to the draft, Roach said his focus since the season-ending injury was his dedication to returning to full strength. Despite the strides made in the last six months and the conclusion of the two-day debacle, that focus hasn’t changed.

“It hasn’t sunk in yet,” Roach said of the opportunity. “I’m trying to be as healthy as I can. I’m going get my body as ready as it can to be able to work hard and earn a spot in training camp.”

Reach Chris Gentilviso at [email protected].