Four New Members Elected To School Boards

By Diana XinThe Daily Northwestern

Four new members were selected to join Evanston’s two local school boards during local elections Tuesday.

The three open spots on the Evanston/Skokie School District 65 board will all be filled by newly elected members. Two incumbents, Jane Colleton and Mary Wilkerson, were re-elected to their seats on the school board for Evanston School District 202.

Omar Khuri will be the only new member on the District 202 board. Khuri said he is excited to fulfill his campaign goals.

“I want to start working on fiscal responsibility so we’re not overspending,” Khuri said. “And closing the achievement gap so we’re giving all students an equal opportunity to learn.”

Colleton, who has served on the District 202 school board since 1991, said she looks forward to working with Khuri and the other members during her fifth term.

“We have an excellent board,” Colleton said. “It’s a really cohesive group. We figure out how to deal with our disagreements. I think Omar will fit in nicely.”

The school board must soon vote on turning over its adult education program to Oakton Community College, 7701 N. Lincoln Ave., in Skokie, Colleton said.

“The way (the community) values the program is clear,” Colleton said. She said the board needs to keep the community more informed about the benefits of the program.

Wilkerson, who is beginning her third term on the District 202 board, said she hopes to equip students with “marketable skills” through internships, apprenticeships and summer programs.

She said she hopes to partner with the city, Northwestern and Oakton Community College to implement these programs.

The three will begin their terms May 14. Khuri will take the seat of retiring member Ross Friedman.

Three new members will join the District 65 board, as Katie Bailey, Bonnie Lockhart and Keith Terry will be sworn into office May 15.

Vice President Julie Chernoff and members Jonathan Baum and Marianne Kountoures will step down.

“I’m somewhat humbled by the whole thing,” Bailey said. “I feel challenged to do a good job, and motivated. And excited.”

Terry said he was happy that Evanston citizens trusted him “to bring D65 to the next level.”

“Achievement is definitely my number one goal – achievement across the board, for students who are gifted and for students who are not meeting standards,” Terry said.

Lockhart did not return several messages seeking comment.

Reach Diana Xin at [email protected].