City Focuses On New Crowd For First Night Evanston

By Stephanie WangContributing Writer

Be a rock star. Get caught up on recent news and politics. Meet the guy whose voice created the sound effects for Woody Woodpecker.

First Night Evanston 2007 offers more than just ice sculptures and fireworks. There’s live band karaoke, performances from comedy group The Second City, and a show by “Mr. Sound Effects” Wes Harrison, in addition to the traditional repertoire of New Year’s Eve events.

This year’s 15th annual New Year’s celebration targets 16- to 25-year-olds who are often overlooked in family-oriented community events, while still trying to appeal to everyone.

“It’s usually parents who bring their kids to First Night Evanston,” festival manager Corinne Pierog said. “The people who like to go clubbing and go out are the group we’ve missed. Maybe there’s a perception that yeah, it was great as a kid, but now I don’t know anymore. Well, the entertainment is awfully good, and if you give it a chance you’re going to be really happy that you did.”

First Night Evanston is one of the largest celebrations of its kind in the Midwest and one of the few remaining in Illinois, according to Pierog. The event has about 6,500 to 9,000 participants each year.

“We’ve got a full range of entertainment: some really cool jazz, folk dancing, tango,” she said. “We have eight hours of solid entertainment going through 14 different venues.”

Despite the wide range of entertainment, many students think First Night Evanston’s performances are geared toward younger people.

Weinberg sophomore Matt Levine, who is originally from Evanston, described the festival as “more family-oriented and something more for children.”

Pierog said she hopes Chicago indie band Baby Teeth, which she called “real edgy (with) … a real strong following in the night-club set in Chicago,” and The Second City will draw Levine and the rest of the college-aged crowd to First Night Evanston.

“If you can see The Second City two blocks away from the Northwestern campus for $14, or you can go into Chicago and see the exact same show for $30,” Pierog said. “You don’t need an MBA to figure that out.”

Skander Spies, a McCormick senior and an Evanston native, played in a jazz band that performed at First Night Evanston a few times, but “it really wasn’t ever my thing,” he said. But he was enticed by The Second City performance.

“College students definitely like The Second City,” he said. “I really enjoy (it), and I don’t go enough, so bringing them up to Evanston would be amazing.”

For the younger crowd, First Night Evanston offers storytelling, face painting, and marionette performer David Herzoq. Herzoq has performed at the event for at least four or five years, Pierog estimated.

“A riot of children would be marching down the street if we didn’t have David,” Pierog said.

First Night Evanston will begin two hours earlier this year at 4 p.m. on Dec. 31 to allow the youngest participants to enjoy the festivities with their parents. The celebration will end after the fireworks at midnight instead of having performances running until 1:30 a.m.

Admission buttons for the event cost $14 for adults and $8 for children ages 6-12, with free admission for children under 5. For a list of Evanston locations selling buttons and more information on First Night Evanston 2007, visit www.firstnightevanston.org.

Reach Stephanie Wang at [email protected].