Resident to city: Let me exercise my rights

Evanston resident Michael Lee wanted to exercise his American rights: He wanted to remodel his kitchen.

The City of Evanston would not give him a permit.

So Lee went to court, claiming the city’s action was a direct retaliation against another lawsuit he made related to the expansion of his garage.

One year later, with the latest lawsuit still unresolved, Lee has brought his legal battle to the Internet. He has chronicled the history of his lawsuits on a Web site with an address that says it all: justiceplease.com.

City lawyer Jack Siegel said he could not comment on the case because it is ongoing.

Lee’s legal ordeal began four years ago, when he wanted to expand his one-and-three-quarters-car attached garage at 2500 Orrington Ave. to fit a second car.

The City of Evanston granted him a permit, but after the garage was built, they revoked it after realizing the northern wall would not conform to a zoning regulation, Lee said.

They demanded that the garage be returned to its original size within 30 days, Lee said, or the city would tear it down and charge him for the demolition fees.

Lee filed a suit against the city concerning the garage, seeking injunctive relief from its imminent destruction by the city, according to Lee’s Web site.

Then, when he wanted to remodel his kitchen in December 2004, he was refused a permit.

Lee said the city denied his request because of the lawsuit he had filed.

He decided to file another lawsuit because he disagreed with the way Evanston was punishing him for exercising his right to sue.

“The City cannot demand that a citizen forfeits one right in order to exercise another right,” Lee said. “I am exercising my right to seek redress for a grievance in the state court, and because of that, the city is retaliating against me and denying me my right to municipal services.”

Lee estimated that similar lawsuits have costed about $50,000 a year in salaries and legal fees.

“The most unfortunate side effect of this litigation is the incredible waste of taxpayer money,” Lee said. “This litigation is mean and meaningless.”

Lee expects to win the jury trial this fall, but believes the city will want to appeal the decision.

He is now in the discovery phase trying to find people in Evanston who have had similar experiences with the city.

“I am convinced I’m not the only one,” Lee said.

He hopes his Web site will raise awareness and encourage people with similar experiences to contact him. The kitchen is still in its old condition.

On the site, Lee addressed a letter to city lawyer Jack Siegel and to Evanston.

“Four long years later, you are still at war over an anthill,” a line of the letter said.

Reach Diana Xin at [email protected]