Preparation makes off-campus housing hunt less of a nightmare

It’s that time of the year. Students are strolling around nearby neighborhoods trying to spot leasing signs on the windows.

And then the stress hits.

Application fees, security deposits, leases and utilities: Northwestern students must deal with all this when they plan to leave the comfort of dorms behind and move off-campus.

Although the apartment hunting lingo and the shrinking bank accounts may inspire fear, NU students with experience have generally emerged unscathed.

Repair Woes

Unlike living in dorms, students who live off-campus cannot solve a broken heater or a leaky pipe by walking down the hall to their Community Advisor.

Dealing with repairs and other situations is another mark of the independence of renting off-campus, although, at times, it can be frustrating.

Weinberg senior Tiffany Grobelski, who lives at Davis Street and Ridge Avenue, sometimes found it difficult to get her landlord’s attention when something needed repairs or her apartment was too cold.

“It just seemed we had to nag them to get anything done,” Grobelski said. “For the amount of rent we were paying, the way we were treated sometimes was ridiculous.”

Landlords said most full-service management companies have maintenance and emergency numbers. Companies with these services may respond to repairs quicker.

Private property managers also will respond quickly to maintain their reputation, said Vickie Eckart, who manages a building on Sherman Avenue.

Weinberg junior Lindsay Larsen faced repair issues as well because past tenants had failed to take care of the building.

“Apparently the guys before us knocked out some windows and a door,” said Larsen, who lives at Davis Street and Ridge Avenue. “It ended up taking a whole month (to fix it).”

Repairs were done over the summer, and Larsen’s lease was pushed back from July to August. Money for the repairs were taken from the past tenants’ security deposit.

Greater disasters such as fires and robberies also may occur. In these cases, landlords cover the repair costs but suggest students buy a rentor’s deposit. Most deposits cost $100 and last for the whole year.

Reach Diana Xin at [email protected].

Students don’t need to be too worried. Most landlords realize they are dealing with first-time renters and try to be helpful.

The First Step: Application Fees

After locating an apartment quiet enough for studying but also ideal for partying with friends, the first step is to turn in an application.

Application fees are used to run credit and background checks. They usually range from $20 to $40. Vickie Eckart, a private property manager on Sherman Avenue, charges $30 and says the price typically rises with buildings owned by management companies.

Certain landlords may waive the fee with houses when they do not expect to run background checks on so many tenants.

“Based on the credit, the owner makes a decision,” landlord Aram Bayzaee said. He takes two or three applications for each opening.

Signing the Dotted Line: Leases

With all the apartment options on the table, there comes a time for commitment.

The occasion may be approached with cold feet and uncertainty or a general sense of euphoria at finally finding “the one.”

Leases mark the official agreement between landlords and tenants. They typically last a year – usually starting July 1 or Sept. 1 – although some landlords offer a six-month or monthly lease. Leases outline the details of what is provided and, most importantly, the rent.

Once the lease is signed, it is difficult to break the contract. Often, doing so includes a fine.

Before these leases are signed, landlords encourage students to read them over carefully.

“I think a lot of people just focus on the rent, and they don’t take into account services included,” said Josh Braun, an Evanston landlord. “They should take into account costs, find out what you’re getting for your money.”

Other services in the lease may include maintenance, landscaping, snow shoveling and utilities.

“(The lease) broke down what we did and didn’t have to pay for,” said Weinberg senior Kristen Jones, who lives at Sherman Avenue and Foster Street.

But for some students, yearlong leases can be problematic.

“The most difficult part of the process is if you don’t plan to stay for those three months,” Jones said, remembering her subletting experience in the summer.

Added Insurance: Security Deposits

Security deposits, used as insurance for the landlords, often accompany apartment leases.

They range from one month’s rent to a month-and-a-half’s rent. The Evanston Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance prohibits landlords from asking for any higher charges.

The money in the security deposit may not be used as rent, as students occasionally assume.

“The security deposit is returned to (tenants) in full with interest, according to the City of Evanston when they leave, if there are no damages and the room is in the same condition as it was when they moved in,” Eckart said.

When a student moves out, landlords look for repairs or cleaning needs. If damages are found, then repair costs are deducted from the deposit.

At times the security deposits cause tension between landlord and tenant.

“Every year there’s always one house confused at how much money is withheld,” Braun said.

Extra costs: Utilities

The monthly bills depend on more than just the rent. Utilities may be included in the rent, but often they come as additional expenses.

“Last year I lived in an apartment,” said Weinberg senior Blake Kluger, who now shares a nine-person house. “We didn’t have to pay for heat or anything. This year the gas price is really high. Last month it was $43 per person.”

Extra bills like water, electricity and heat may sound complicated, but most students have found arranging their utility bills to be a straight-forward process.

“Everyone kind of uses the same companies,” Weinberg senior Emily Berger said.

But sometimes the utilities can be a surprise.

Weinberg junior Lindsay Larsen recounts her horror when the gas company was charging her for the former tenants’ bills. She found she was charged $50 extra. After a few angry calls, the mischarge was finally settled, said Larsen, who lives at Davis Street and Ridge Avenue.

Searching for off-campus residence can become a hassle, some students said. Landlords and experienced apartment hunting students believe knowing as much about the process as possible provides for a better experience.

“Don’t be afraid to ask questions,” Braun said. “It’s a new experience.”

Reach Diana Xin at [email protected].