Quick-change artists’ steal $70 from bakery

Two unknown individuals took $70 by confusing a Bennison’s Bakery employee Saturday evening when the individuals repeatedly asked for change from the cash register, according to an Evanston Police report.

“We don’t get too many of these ‘quick-change artists’,” Evanston Deputy Police Chief Joseph Bellino said. “It’s basically a case of fraud, a con artist.”

A man in his late 40s and a woman in her late 30s entered the bakery, 1000 Davis St., at about 7:45 p.m, Bellino said. The woman spoke to an employee about buying a cake while the man bought three cookies. He then asked for change for several bills and began speaking quickly. The employee said she became confused and the two left with the cookies and change.

The employee told police she then found $70 missing from the cash register, police said. She said she believes they intentionally confused her and took the cash while she was making change.

Bennison’s often receives requests for change, said Jory Downer, the bakery’s vice president. An incident similar to Saturday’s occurrence happened in early September, when $19 was lost, he said.

“I don’t know what happened,” Downer said. “We have a no-change policy but it wasn’t enforced. We stepped up our efforts on that.”

The store is equipped with a camera system, Downer said, and EPD has the tape from Saturday night for investigation purposes.

The employee involved in the incident still works at Bennison’s, Downer said.

“We were just thankful nobody got hurt,” Downer said. “If we stick to our policy of not giving out change, I don’t think it will be an issue.”