Lineup spark: leadoff batter sets hit record

Softball

In a year full of broken records for Northwestern, even freshmen are getting in on the fun.

Coach Kate Drohan pointed out freshman Stephanie Churchwell has been a top performer throughout the year for the Wildcats and recently broke the single-season hit record in just her first year with the team.

The leadoff batter has 74 hits, easily surpassing the former record of 68, and she recently had a 16-game hit streak end against DePaul on May 3.

The shortstop is the only freshman who has started all 51 games this year and has been a major contributor on both the offensive and defensive sides of the game. In addition to her 74 hits, Churchwell has registered 35 RBIs, 47 runs and eight home runs.

“She has more hits in one year than any person that’s ever played in our uniform and she did it her first year — that’s amazing,” Drohan said. “She does it with power and she does it with extra bases. She’s not just a singles hitter.

“To see her total bases in that leadoff column, that really jump starts our offense. I think that’s one of the most prestigious records.”

Churchwell’s record-breaking season has also helped some of her teammates with run production lower in the lineup. Junior Jamie Dotson, who bats fourth, set the record for RBIs in a season this year with 51. The previous record was 39.

Back to Basics

At practice Tuesday, NU focused on getting back to fundamentals following two tough losses to Michigan last weekend. The first game, a 3-0 loss, featured two errors that led to the winning runs for the Wolverines, so the Cats focused on tightening up the small parts of their game.

“Our pitchers have been striking a lot of people out through the course of the Big Ten, so today we went back to executing fundamentals, catching and throwing, just to sharpen up our skills a little bit,” Drohan said Tuesday. “We did some running today, we did some lifting today, just because we’re still in here for another four weeks.”

NU has committed 43 errors as a team this year and has a .970 fielding percentage.

The Cats worked in cycles going through batting practice and fielding drills, and pitcher Courtnay Foster even made some nice plays shagging balls in the outfield.

All for One

Drohan said the team will rely on its entire roster in the postseason to help propel the Cats to a Big Ten tournament title.

Drohan pointed to sophomores Jessica Miller and Megan Hinck as major threats in pinch-hitting situations and said junior Ashley Crane and sophomore Elizabeth Piatt will continue to play an important role by pinch running.

“The little things are going to make a difference this weekend,” Drohan said. “It’s kind of like in Major League Baseball once you hit the postseason. They all start bunting again. They all start using their entire lineup when they haven’t all year. The same goes for us. We’re going to use everybody.”

Reach Paul Tenorio at [email protected].