Climbing up the rankings: NU now 18th

Northwestern continued its assault on the national rankings this week, moving up five spots to No. 18 in the ESPN/USA Softball top 25 poll released Tuesday.

The Wildcats (22-9, 4-0 Big Ten) opened Big Ten play last weekend with a sweep of Illinois and Iowa.

The USA Today/NFCA poll, which currently ranks NU at No. 20, comes out with updated rankings Wednesday afternoon.

NU was the only team to go through the opening weekend in the Big Ten without suffering a loss, placing the Cats at the top of the conference standings.

Coach Kate Drohan didn’t know after practice Tuesday the Cats had jumped in the rankings and said she didn’t put much stock in the polls.

“Wins and losses concern me, not rankings,” Drohan said. “We’re working here to put ourselves in a situation to fight for a championship at the end of the season. The rankings really don’t mean anything.”

No. 1 Michigan is the only Big Ten team ahead of NU in the top 25. Iowa, which NU swept in a doubleheader Sunday, is one spot behind the Cats at No. 19 in the poll.

LIKE A GLOVE

Freshman Kelly Odell hadn’t played all year long until last weekend’s games against Illinois and Iowa. As a newcomer, it wasn’t easy for the second baseman to crack the lineup of a team beating top-5 squads left and right.

But in the opening Big Ten series, Odell stepped into the lineup and didn’t miss a beat. She also played flawless defense at second base, committing no errors in four games.

“It’s great to get in and play against ranked opponents like Iowa,” Odell said.

While most players have some butterflies in their first collegiate game, Odell said she wasn’t nervous.

“More excitement than nervousness,” she said. “I’ve played since I was eight, so it gets to be to a point where it’s softball and you do what you have to do. Softball’s the same wherever it is.”

Odell, who strained ligaments in her arm one day after returning from spring break, went 1 for 10 at the plate with four RBIs. She also drew one walk and scored a run for the Cats.

“I was pleased with her poise,” Drohan said. “She was very much aware of what was going on around her, and as a freshman, the first time out, that’s the most important thing. She was aggressive, she was reacting well, she put the ball in play, she made things happen.”

ACE IN THE HOLE

NU will travel to Minnesota and Wisconsin this weekend in its first conference road trip of the year. Drohan stressed she is not worried about traveling because the Cats played 27 straight games on the road to start the year.

The Cats’ main concern will be Minnesota pitcher Lyn Peyer, who has a 2.20 ERA.

Peyer replaced Minnesota’s ace, Piper Martin, who graduated last year. NU had struggled with Martin “for four years,” Drohan said.

During batting practice Tuesday, the NU hitters were getting ready to face Peyer.

“We’re working on some different things offensively to prepare for her,” Drohan said. “And I think we’ll create some offense, put some pressure and get things going from the start.”

Reach Paul Tenorio at [email protected].