Wildcats ready to peak at championships (Wrestling)

All year long Northwestern coach Tim Cysewski has emphasized that his goal was to have the wrestling team peak by the time the Big Ten championships rolled around.

His aspirations for the team included turning in strong performances during the conference season, earning national qualifiers and contending for the conference title.

NU wrestlers followed suit.

When asked, the Cats recited the same goals they heard from their coach.

Now, after constantly pointing to the conference tournament, the Wildcat wrestling team will have a chance to fulfill their goals at Hawkeye-Carver Arena in Iowa City, Iowa, at the Big Ten championships.

“This is what we’ve prepared for all year,” said redshirt freshman Jake Herbert, who is seeded second at 174 pounds. “This is what all the training, all the work, all the extra hours of everything, this is what it’s all about.”

The Cats received eight seeds for the tournament, however sophomore Nick Hayes, who was seeded seventh at 165 pounds, was forced to withdraw due to injury, so there will be only seven seeded wrestlers active for the Cats.

Other NU wrestlers who are seeded include junior John Velez (No. 4 at 125 pounds), sophomore Ryan Lang (No. 6 at 141), senior Mike Kimberlin (No. 8 at 157), freshman Mike Tamillow (No. 6 at 184), junior Matt Delguyd (No. 3 at 197) and freshman Dustin Fox (No. 4 in heavyweight).

The tournament stretches over two days, and Cysewski said the meet is significantly more intense than facing then-No. 6 Iowa earlier this year.

“The intensity at the tournament is 10 times that of any Big Ten dual,” said Kimberlin. “I think we’re ready, even the young guys. They’ve been in big national tournaments in high school so they’re going to be used to the crowd, used to the excitement, used to the pressure.”

Cysewski said he has tried to keep his team relaxed and ready to climax at the tournament by keeping practices short during the past 10 days.

He also said he has told them upsets are possible, so they always have to focus.

Kimberlin agreed higher seeds can be caught sleeping during the tournament.

“In the past years I’ve been there I’ve seen guys that were No. 1 not even make it to nationals and I’ve seen guys that were No. 8 win the whole thing,” Kimberlin said. “It’s really exciting and I’m looking forward to it.”

Herbert has the highest seed for NU after losing only one match all year long. Herbert’s perfect run ended in a match against Illinois’ Pete Friedl, who is a No. 1 seed at the tournament.

Herbert said although he’s ready for any opponent, he hopes for a rematch in the final.

“I’m looking forward to that (matchup),” said Cysewski. “They both need to get there first. We need to take care of business and Friedl needs to take care of his business. We just have to make sure we get their first and if Friedl’s there we’ll focus on beating him.”

After letting the momentum build all year long and placing the conference tournament as their benchmark for success, the Cats hope they won’t fall short of their goals.

When asked if the team was ready, the 141-pound star Lang, said he’d been ready all his life, and had strong words.

“They don’t have a choice,” said Lang. “They better be.”

Reach Paul at [email protected].