Football: Momentum eludes NU in defeat to Wolverines

Former Michigan coach Bo Schembechler taught Northwestern coach Randy Walker all about momentum at a coaching conference in 1976.

“He talked about how that’s the single most important aspect of any football game,” Walker said at his weekly Monday news conference. “He went and spent a whole hour discussing that.”

Walker said he found it ironic that NU (5-5, 4-3 Big Ten) left Michigan Stadium, Schembechler’s old stomping grounds, after a 42-20 loss on Saturday feeling like momentum was the most significant thing missing in a game against the No. 7 Wolverines (9-1, 7-0).

“We almost had the momentum, and we really just did not grasp it,” NU senior running back Noah Herron said. “When we get an opportunity to grab the momentum against a team like that, we have to take it.

“And we just didn’t execute in taking it.”

The Wildcats surpassed Michigan in several statistical categories, including total offensive plays and yards passing.

But a 21-point third quarter and five consecutive touchdowns in six second-half possessions for the Wolverines cost NU the momentum it had built in other games this season.

“Stats are for losers, as I’ve said before,” Walker said. “But statistically, it was a very competitive game. We had about as many total yards as they did.

“Our rushing average, which we put a lot of emphasis on, was almost a tie. We actually did a better job in protection.”

Walker also talked Monday about the Cats’ special teams play, which has had problems all year and struggled against Michigan.

For the first time this year, senior kicker Brian Huffman wasn’t attempting extra points and field goals on Saturday.

Sophomore kicker Joel Howells took Huffman’s starting spot, replacing a senior who had made just 7-of-17 field goal attempts this season.

“I think Brian’s worked very hard, but he’s having a hard time going from the practice tee to the first tee,” Walker said. “He still possesses the ability to do that job. It’s just something happens between the driving range and the first tee with him.”

Walker also explained why he waited nine games to pull Huffman from the starting position.

“Probably my greatest asset and my greatest flaw is I’m intensely loyal,” Walker said. “Commitment means something to me. …I wanted to give it a full chance to work its way out.”

Howells made 2-of-3 field goal attempts and hit both extra points against the Wolverines.

NU’s main problems with special teams happened on punts and kickoffs, where Michigan junior receiver Steve Breaston returned three kicks for 79 yards and four punts for 112 yards, including a 67-yard touchdown.

“We could have taken some machetes out there, and I don’t think we could have gotten Breaston,” Walker said. “He did stuff you can’t do.”

Breaston also finished with 49 yards and a receiving touchdown on five catches.

“He didn’t play like that all year,” Walker said. “And he just exploded.”

Reach Teddy Kider at [email protected].