Next Theatre teams up with restaurants for new show

Evanston theatergoers should expect plenty of food for thought while attending Next Theatre Company’s newest production.

“Omnium Gatherum” — a show about an eight-person dinner party in a post-Sept. 11 society — discusses a number of controversial concepts while presenting a real five-course meal cooked by several area restaurants in collaboration with Next Theatre, located in the Noyes Cultural Arts Center, 927 Noyes St.

“We’re trying to keep it as live as possible,” said Jason Loewith, the artistic director of Next Theatre and the play’s director. “The food changes every two nights so the cast is going to be surprised. There’s a great sense of anticipation about what’s next.”

The production, which began previews Thursday and is scheduled to run through Dec. 12, chose the restaurants based on the gourmet meals depicted in the script, written by Theresa Rebeck and Alexandra Gersten-Vassilaros.

“I love any collaboration between performance and food,” said Henry Adaniya, the owner of Trio Atelier, 1625 Hinman Ave., one of the restaurants that provides a meal for the show. “To have a live performance to be a part of is so much fun.”

But good food is only secondary to the controversial discussion that takes place at the one-and-a-half-hour dinner. The party-goers — including a Martha Stewart-esque host, a writer, a pundit, a firefighter and an Arab — debate and argue about current events while bombs drop outside the house.

“There is chaos all around,” said Bobby Zaman, an actor in the show who plays a Middle Eastern man. “A lot of things talked about in the play are still so very tense and sensitive (subjects). This play gets to the bottom of it. It needs to be talked about.”

Although the characters do not necessarily agree with each other, Loewith said “Omnium Gatherum” shows the significance of being able to understand and respect the opinions of others.

“None of the (issues) are as important as getting people to sit down and break bread together,” Loewith said.

Loewith said the play can teach audience members valuable lessons about the importance of discussion. The recent presidential election, which fueled frustration and confusion among Evanston residents, proves that conversation between people is needed in today’s society, he said.

“The need for the play is more important now,” Loewith said. “No one (in Evanston) knew anyone that voted for Bush. There is a need (for them) to learn about the other side.”

Zaman said the most significant message the play sends audience members is the need to acquire education and pass that knowledge to others.

“We can’t just take what the media gives us and accept that,” Zaman said. “We have to explore knowledge. We can then get to know the good and the bad.”

Loewith, who said the cast is one of the strongest ensembles he’s seen in the Chicago area for a long time, said audience members should expect to be entertained and enlightened by the show. Even cast members are excited about the show and especially the collaboration with Evanston restaurants, Zaman said.

“I’m looking forward to eating great food because I get to stuff myself in the show,” he said.

To purchase tickets, call the Next Theatre box office at 847-475-1875.

Reach Kate Ward at [email protected].