Program allows prospies to ‘discover’ if NU is right fit

With college application deadlines fast approaching, prospective students and their parents descended upon campus from around the country for this weekend’s Discover NU, a two-day program aimed at showcasing Northwestern.

“It’s all-encompassing,” said Thomas Menchhofer, assistant director of admission. “They can meet faculty, students, attend classes and spend the night. Pretty much everything they’re going to factor into their decision, they can get a quick sampling of.”

About 200 prospies signed up for the overnight program — the second of three Discover NUs this fall. It began Sunday morning with registration at Norris University Center and student-led campus tours as the day’s first event. The tours were followed by academic forums that allowed prospies and their parents to learn about NU’s six undergraduate schools.

Families also could attend an information session on topics such as “Life After NU,” “Financing Your Student’s Education,” and study abroad programs. Separate parent and prospie dinners were held at Allison dining hall before those prospies staying overnight paired up with their student hosts.

“I’ve already been here but I wanted to do an overnight and really get a sense of it,” said Melanie Greben, a high school senior from Santa Barbara, Calif.

Greben said she didn’t want to attend a “big state school” and wanted to get out of California. As an early decision applicant, she said she’s most worried about “just getting the (application) in on time.”

Kevin Byrne, assistant director of admission, said he hopes the program gives prospies “a realistic glimpse” of life at NU.

“Our goal is for them to interact with a lot of different students,” Byrne said. “Some people will use this to decide whether they apply early decision or regular. We have a pretty good yield from this program — most students that come decide to apply.”

Discover NU is the university’s fall program for prospies — usually high school seniors — who are thinking of applying, whereas Preview NU is the spring program for admitted students. NU’s early decision application deadline is Nov. 1, and the regular decision deadline is Jan. 1.

Communication senior Helen Amanda Johnson, a tour guide, said prospies are nervous about visiting a college campus.

“They want to know what it takes to get in,” said Johnson. “I tell them to do their best, be a well-rounded student.”

The specialized schools and campus location were big draws for many prospies.

“I wanted to look at the school of journalism,” said Nick Park, a senior from Aurora, Ill. “It was a big campus, so the social scene will be good.”

Others complained the program — which ran from 11:30 a.m. to after dinner — was tedious.

“There were too many information sessions,” said Dima Alfawakhiri, a Naperville, Ill., senior.

Many parents who attended Discover NU with their children emphasized the importance of choosing a school that is the right fit.

“For me the most important thing was for her to get a feel of life on campus and what the other students are like,” said Patrick Clear, whose daughter, Emma, is a senior at Evanston Township High School.

And for his daughter?

“How’s the food?” Clear said. “That’s a big thing for her.”

Reach Andrea Chang at [email protected].

Body 2 ———————————————————————–