Taste testing Chicago’s restaurants

At the Taste of Chicago, the only accepted legal tender comes in the form of coupons with the Dominick’s label.

The fare offered by the more than 70 food vendors with samples from some of the city’s best eating establishments can only be had in exchange for the coupons, available in books of 11 for $7 at the festival’s annual site, Grant Park.

The result is a pleasant sensation of not spending cash without having to wait in long lines with people digging for change. The “Monopoly” money drains quickly, but that just leads to rapid fullness — and sure satisfaction. Only four days are left in the festival, which ends July 4.

A quick ride down the Red Line to the Jackson El stop will get would-be eaters to the outdoor festival, complete with live performances by different acts each day including Melissa Etheridge, Peter Frampton and the Counting Crows.

A set of 22 coupons for $14 will be more than enough to fill you up with samples of alligator-on-a-stick, cheese burgers from the Billy Goat Tavern, 430 N. Michigan Ave., picnic foods, desserts and more types of Chicago-style pizza than can possibly be sampled in one evening. Splitting a set of three books (33 coupons) with a friend may be the best way to go for visitors with moderate-sized appetites — at a rate of $10.50 a piece, it’s a sure-fire strategy to thorougly enjoy the Taste.

July 3 will feature a fireworks show over Lake Michigan as the food vendors close down. Organizers promise a good spectacle if you can stand the huge crowds that pack the park every year the night before Independence Day.

But whatever you do, don’t miss the corn on the cob or Eli’s cheesecake and be sure to take a water bottle — you won’t want to waste your tickets on over-priced beverages at the Taste.

Editor in Chief Nick Collins is a Medill senior. He can be reached at [email protected].

Music Schedule

Acts Include

Thursday, July 1, 2004

5:30 p.m.

Melissa Etheridge

Friday, July 2, 2004

5:00 p.m.

Jimmy Burns

Peter Frampton

Sunday, July 4, 2004

3:00 p.m.

Counting Crows

They Might Be Giants