2-person show examines awareness of racial issues

For actor Jason Delane, a role in the Next Theatre Company’s production of “Yellowman” hit close to home. As a light-skinned black man, he often was unable to obtain jobs in the acting industry on account of being too light or not dark enough.

But in the Pulitzer Prize-nominated “Yellowman,” a two-person play that focuses on racism among blacks, Delane said he fit the character of Eugene comfortably.

“It’s a strong thought-provoking play that should be told to as many people as can see it,” Delane said.

The play, now showing at the Noyes Cultural Arts Center, 927 Noyes St., tells the story of two blacks in South Carolina attempting to find both love and their identities. Alma, played by Jacqueline Williams, is a dark-skinned black woman who struggles with self-confidence. Eugene is chastised by lighter-skinned blacks for his romantic interest in a darker woman, Alma.

The play, written by Dael Orlandersmith and directed by Chuck Smith, deals with provocative themes such as abuse, love, jealousy and self-discovery.

“It’s important to do (this play) right now to spark conversation,” Williams said.

Conversation about the production, Williams said, is essential to combating the racism that continues to exist in today’s society.

“I hope people relate it to themselves and what they’ve had to go through,” Williams said. “I hope they start discussions to lead themselves on the way to healing. The circle (of racism and judgement) can be broken if you work to do so.”

Delane agreed, saying it is the actor’s “primary responsibility” to provoke discussion.

Audience members said “Yellowman” allowed them to learn about racial problems within the African-American race that they did not realize existed.

“It was interesting because the racism that exists between light- and dark-skinned African-Americans is not something you hear about, being white,” said Laura Mohre, a fifth-year Weinberg and Music senior.

This is both Delane and Williams’ debut performance with the Next Theatre Company, housed at the Noyes Cultural Arts Center, also located at 927 Noyes St. After the play’s final performance on May 23, Delane will return to his home in Los Angeles in the fall to film episodes for UPN’s “One on One,” on which he has a recurring role. Williams’ next project currently is undetermined. Delane hopes to return every two years to Chicago to perform.

“For me, this is where the art is,” Delane said. “I’m a Chicago actor that holds the Chicago flag up high.”