Overtime slips from NU’s paws

On a night when freshman Breanne Smilie completed a four-point play against a top-20 team, anything seemed possible.

But after playing up-to-par with No. 20 Michigan State for 40 minutes, the Northwestern women’s basketball team fell in overtime, 67-57.

The loss marked the second time this week the Wildcats (7-10, 0-6 Big Ten) fell in overtime. It was their sixth consecutive loss.

For much of the game, NU was able to overcome the Spartans’ (14-3, 4-2) full-court defense, which has played a major part in Michigan State’s rise in the polls. The Cats’ ability to limit their turnovers afforded the team a three-point lead with under two minutes to play.

But Michigan State guard Lindsay Bowen made up the difference on a three-pointer with 1:36 remaining to cap a tight second half. In the final 20 minutes of regulation the lead changed six times, with neither squad gaining more than a five-point advantage.

The Cats had led by as many as 13 points in the first half. NU built its largest lead of the game on a 20-5 run that started with 10 minutes left until the intermission.

After sloppy play from both teams to open the contest, the Cats’ offense began clicking and they broke down the Spartans’ defense.

Freshman Alex Mueller and Smilie consistently found open looks from behind the three-point line, with each shooting 2 for 3 from afar in the first period. Mueller finished the game with 12 points, and Smilie trailed close behind with seven.

“We shot the ball well, and our shooters got to take their shots standing still,” coach June Olkowski said.

Sarah Kwasinski contributed to the breakdown of Michigan State’s defense, returning to her pre-injury form under the basket. The junior shot 6 of 12 from the floor, leading the Cats with 13 total points.

“My natural place on the court is down low, and if I can be there most of the game, I’m happy,” Kwasinski said.

Sophomore Ifeoma Okonkwo also helped NU under the basket, scoring 10 points on 5-for-6 shooting from the field.

“Kwas created shots, and we were able to attack inside,” Olkowski said.

Although they enjoyed great success on offense, the Cats seemed to have defensive breakdowns at the most inopportune moments.

The Spartans went on an 11-0 run to cut NU’s 13-point lead to just two at halftime. And in the extra period the Cats fell apart, as the Spartans outscored them 14-4.

“They hit two shots in a row (in overtime), and we just didn’t answer,” Kwasinski said. “Every possession counts, especially in overtime when you have just five minutes.”

The Spartans let loose on NU’s zone defense, with Bowen scoring nine overtime points, 18 for the game.

“You can say we should have been in man defense, but our zone defense was the best to play,” Olkowski said. “It was the second game in a row where we let a shooter loose in overtime.”

The Cats were overwhelmed in the rebounding department, pulling down just 23 compared to the Spartans’ 42.

But Olkowski said she was pleased with her team’s much-needed improvement and consistency, especially in the turnover category.

With the toughest part of the Cats’ schedule now over, Olkowski is optimistic about her team getting its first Big Ten victory.

“We know we’re going to get that win,” Olkowski said. “We just have to take it personally when someone scores against us.”