Women’s swim team to host invitational this weekend

The Northwestern women’s swim team will host Rice University, Southern Illinois and Big Ten rival Ohio State in the TYR NU Invitational this weekend at the Norris Aquatics Center. The invitational will give the younger Wildcats a chance to see what the Big Ten Championships will be like and also give swimmers a break from Big Ten competition where they have suffered three straight losses.

“I think we’re looking to go and just be faster than we’ve been all year,” said coach Jimmy Tierney. “It’s also like a dress rehearsal for Big Ten because it’s a very similar format with all the events in one weekend: prelims, finals, things they haven’t done yet this year.”

NU will face stiff competition all weekend.

“Ohio State is a much improved Big Ten team, maybe the most improved in the Big Ten this year,” Tierney said. “Rice has had a number of individuals go to the NCAA championships over the years. I think they will be very competitive and I know Southern Illinois is prepared to swim fast.”

NU has had strong performances this year from sophomore Katie Paglini, junior Christy Olin and senior Katie Simmons, who all won races in last week’s meet against Minnesota.

“I hope to have some good morning swims. It’s something I need to work on,” said Paglini. “I’m not going to have the luxury of being able to swim slow in the morning and make the finals in the Big Ten so I need good morning swims (this weekend).”

The young Ohio State squad nearly knocked off Big Ten contender Michigan this year. The Buckeyes feature freshman Rebekah Rychvalsky of Australia who set a pool record in the 200-yard breastroke with a time of 2:18.79. Rychvalsky will face off with Simmons in that event.

“OSU has been doing pretty well this year so if we can be strong against them I think it will boost our self confidence a lot,” said Paglini.

Olin said the invitational provides a chance to “just go out and race.”