BCS rank could boost Georgia in the SEC

Auburn at Georgia

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: Athens, Ga.

Line: Georgia by 7

TV: None

Records: Auburn (6-4), Georgia (7-2)

What’s at stake: Georgia looks to win its way into the SEC title game after its banged-up team lost to Florida last week.

Overview: Last year Georgia beat Auburn on a dramatic 19-yard touchdown on a fourth-and-15 play with 1:25 left. Auburn was the last team to win at Georgia, in 2001. Georgia, which is suffering through several season-ending injuries, is benefiting from the SEC’s new championship game tie-breaker. If there is a three-way tie for the conference lead, the SEC will use the BCS rankings to determine which team goes to the championship game. Tennessee is ranked seventh in the BCS, Georgia is ninth and Florida is fourteenth. Though Tennessee is ranked higher than the Bulldogs, if only five spots separate the two teams, head-to-head competition would be the tie breaker. And Georgia defeated Tennessee 41-14 in October.

Kansas St. at Nebraska

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: Lincoln, Neb.

Line: Kansas State by 1 1/2

TV: None

Records: Kansas State (8-3), Nebraska (8-2)

What’s at stake: This game could go a long way in determining the winner of the Big 12 North.

Overview: Kansas State has beaten Nebraska three straight times when playing it at home but have lost 17 consecutive games in Lincoln. The two teams are locked in a tie for first place in the Big 12 North and are both only 1 1/2 games ahead of Missouri. The Cornhuskers have forced at least two turnovers in the last 10 games and have forced 39 this year, fifth highest all-time in school history. The defense will face a Kansas State team that, after losing three straight, rebounded with four consecutive victories, outscoring its opponents 174-36.

Pittsburgh at West Virginia

Time: 6 p.m.

Place: Morgantown, W.V.

Line: Even

TV: ESPN

Records: Pittsburgh (7-2), West Virginia (5-4)

What’s at stake: Pittsburgh could finish the year as the champions of the Big East but needs to beat underdog West Virginia — which also has a chance to win the conference — to stay in contention.

Overview: Despite West Virginia’s deceiving record, the Mountaineers are known for their upset potential and have already defeated then-No. 3 Virginia Tech this year. Pittsburgh wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald is one of the top contenders for the Heisman as a sophomore. Pittsburgh defeated Virginia Tech 31-28 last week as Fitzgerald caught a touchdown for a record 15th straight game, while quarterback Rod Rutherford threw for 303 yards. West Virginia has won four straight and trails Pittsburgh by only one game in the Big East.

N.C. State at Florida St.

Time: 2:30 pm.

Place: Tallahassee, Fla.

Line: Florida State by 12 1/2

TV: None

Records: N.C. State (7-3), Florida

State (8-2)

What’s at stake: If Florida State wins, it will take the ACC championship and gain the automatic BCS bid.

Overview: Florida State has been almost unstoppable historically in the ACC. N.C. State, however, seems to be the only team that has stopped the Seminoles. N.C. State became the first ACC team to win in Tallahassee in 2001, and last year became the first ACC team to beat the Seminoles twice in a row. This year N.C. State is guided by quarterback Philip Rivers, who has smashed almost every ACC record for quarterbacks. He has thrown for 3,000 yards in the past three seasons. In addition Wolfpack running back T.A. McLendon rushed for 112 yards on 18 carries and had 11 receptions for 104 yards last week in the win over Virginia. The Seminoles are coming off of a loss to Clemson in which quarterback Chris Rix failed to move Florida State past Clemson’s 30-yard line for most of the game.

LSU at Alabama

Time: 6:45 p.m.

Place: Tuscaloosa, Ala.

Line: LSU by 6 1/2

TV: ESPN

Records: LSU (8-1), Alabama (4-6) What’s at stake: LSU is trying to remain in contention for the national title but also is attempting to stay in contention for a conference title at the same time.

Overview: LSU will try to avoid looking ahead to next week’s game against Mississippi and has avoided all talk about the national title race. Saturday’s game is the last home game for a Crimson Tide squad that has had a disappointing season. Alabama, however, did lose in overtime to Tennessee and Arkansas, and gave top ranked Oklahoma a tough contest before losing 20-13. Alabama features the SEC’s leading rusher, Shaud Williams, and will depend on him to set the tempo for the offense against LSU.