Georgia loses seventh starter of season (Notebook)

Georgia seems to have an injury curse on it this year. The No. 4 Bulldogs have lost another key player to a season-ending injury. This time, it’s cornerback Decory Bryant, who underwent surgery on his neck Sunday morning. The surgery will make him the seventh player on the roster that has suffered a season-ending injury.

Bryant was injured during a kickoff return in Saturday’s 16-13 victory over UAB in Athens, Ga. The severity of the injury surprised coaches, as Bryant walked off the field after the return.

“It does surprise me because of the end result. But that he was tough enough to walk off? No, that doesn’t surprise me,” Georgia assistant coach Willie Martinez said. “He has played tough like that for three years.”

Coaches have visited Bryant in the hospital throughout the week.

“He is going to be fine,” Martinez said, although he could not release specifics about the injury because of the “family’s wishes.”

According to the Associated Press, there have been reports that Bryant had a rod inserted into his neck after breaking the third and fourth vertebrae and stretching his spine. The reports also indicated that although he did not lose feeling in his limbs, the injury would likely end his playing career.

This is the second major injury suffered by the Georgia secondary. Senior safety Kentrell Curry was lost for the season with a stress fracture in his leg discovered during preseason drills. The Bulldogs have also lost starting outside linebacker Will Thompson, defensive tackle Kedric Golston, starting tailback Tony Milton, backup quarterback D.J. Shockley, and receiver Cedric Haywood for the year.

In addition, top receiver Fred Gibson has missed the past two games with a knee injury. Georgia also has six other starters listed as questionable for this weekend.

IRON MAN: When No. 21 Missouri plays Colorado on Nov. 8, lineman A.J. Ricker will look to set a school record for consecutive starts, passing Rob Riti and Mike Bedsky, who both had 42. But the senior center almost had his streak broken last week after being released from the hospital just two days before a game against Texas Tech.

“I had a 24-hour virus and it hit me pretty hard,” Ricker said. “I ended up going to the emergency room and had a little doubt. Luckily, that bug left my body and I was able to start. I’m still a little weak, but I guess I did all right.”

Ricker and the offensive line did more than all right against Texas Tech. Missouri rushed for 469 yards, the highest single-game rushing total in Division I this year.

The center was on the preseason list for the Rimington Trophy, given to the nation’s top center. After inheriting the job from Riti, Ricker seems to appreciate the record a bit more.

“42 straight, it seems like a century,” Ricker said. “It means a lot, especially considering the guys I’m tied with. My freshman year I played with Rob Riti, one of the best centers ever to come through here.”

CALIFORNIA CONTROVERSY: California college football may be dropped from the NCAA if proposed legislation is passed by the state government. A proposed bill dubbed “the student-athletes’ bill of rights,” is designed to help student-athletes who have trouble surviving due to the limitations of college scholarships.

If passed, the bill will have a large effect on many high-profile programs. Both of Stanford’s basketball programs wouldn’t play in the NCAA tournament. And USC’s football team, currently ranked No. 4 in the nation, would be ineligible for bowl games.

“This bill will do far greater harm than good,” NCAA president Myles Brand said. “You put the institutions in a terrible bind — if they follow state law, they’re immediately out of the NCAA.”

The bill would bar California colleges and universities from following NCAA rules on the following: athletic scholarships/stipends, health insurance, jobs not associated with sports, hiring agents or attorneys to help with career choices, and transfers to other schools.

The Associated Press contributed to this report