Boston College makes switch to ACC (Notebook)

Boston College has accepted a bid from the Atlantic Coast Conference to become the 12th member of the conference, guaranteeing an ACC title game. The move also solidifies the ACC as a new major television market.

Earlier this year, the ACC was denied in their request for a title game because only conferences with 12 teams are eligible. With the addition of the Eagles to the conference, a title game is in the plans for the near future. The new arrangement made Boston College the third team to leave the Big East and move to the ACC.

“This just adds one more excellent school to what now will be a 12-member mix,” said ACC commissioner John Swofford. “If you look at their graduation rates, BC will jump right into the higher echelon of our conference. They bring a lot on both fronts.”

The Eagles, however, may not be able to participate in ACC competition until 2006. Big East by-laws require a 27-month notice to leave the conference unless the school is willing to pay a $5 million exit fee.

Boston College joins Miami and Virginia Tech as the former Big East members now joining the ACC. The Hurricanes and Hokies will begin play in the ACC in 2004. Rev. William Leahy said that BC made the jump because of strong athletics, academics, and finances.

“The ACC is a strong, stable conference,” said Leahy. “The move to the ACC will generate greater revenues in the future.”

Several lawsuits have already been brought up against the University of Miami by the Big East for its departure. The lawsuits claim that Miami is trying to aid the demise of the conference by increasing ACC revenue.

MARCHING ORDERS: Army announced its decision to fire head coach Todd Berry on Monday after the four-year coach had compiled a dismal 5-35 record in his tenure at the Academy. Army is 0-6 this year, has lost a school-record 12 games in a row, and has just one win in its past 17 games.

The Black Knights rank last in the nation in rushing and are the only team in the nation averaging under two yards per carry.

“The Corps of Cadets and the fans of Army football deserve a competitive program that is representative of this great institution,” said Lt. Gen.William Lennox Jr., superintendent of the U.S. Military Academy.

John Mumford, who served as defensive line coach for the past four seasons, was named interim coach. A search for a permanent successor will begin in a few weeks, Lennox said.

BACK IN ACTION: Miami receiver Roscoe Parrish was released from a Tallahassee hospital on Monday and returned to the school after a devastating tackle on Saturday caused internal bleeding.

Parrish left in the second quarter of Miami’s game against Florida State after having his helmet knocked off by the Seminoles’ Stanford Samuels. The 5-foot-9, 157-pound receiver was running a cross route when Samuels knocked him to the ground.

Parrish was unable to walk off the field under his own power. After being helped off the field, he began complaining of pain in his chest and abdomen, as well as blood in his urine. Roscoe was taken to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital.

“The prognosis is good,” Miami coach Larry Coker said. “Roscoe feels a lot better. He’s pretty sore. We feel very good about his complete recovery.”

3-RING OFFENSE: Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel, normally a conservative coach, pulled out the best tricks in his playbook during the Tigers’ 41-24 upset of No. 10 Nebraska. It was Missouri’s first win over the Cornhuskers since 1978.

The circus offense developed after Pinkel received criticism for conservative0 play-calling in the Tigers’ 35-14 loss to Kansas on Sept. 27. In the win over Nebraska, Missouri used a reverse on a kickoff, a lateral throwback to quarterback Brad Smith that resulted in touchdown, and a fake field goal.