Abbreviated readings now even easier with audio SparkNotes

SparkNotes, a leading publisher of popular study guides, is making it even easier for students to get abbreviated versions of classic literature.

The company introduced Audio SparkNotes online last month. The new format will allow users to download the guides as MP3, QuickTime or Windows Media files. Students can use their computers or music players to listen to plot summaries, chapter analyses and explanations of important quotations.

“What we’re trying to do is make SparkNotes available in as many formats as possible,” said Justin Kestler, former editorial director of the New York-based company. “The audio SparkNotes are just another platform we wanted to take on.”

Kestler said SparkNotes created the audio format because of the increasing use and convenience of MP3s. Currently, only the five most popular guides for literature are available for audio download: “To Kill a Mockingbird,” “Hamlet,” “The Odyssey,” “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” and “The Scarlet Letter.”

Audio SparkNotes cost $4.95 each and can be downloaded at www.sparknotes.com.

Since its start in 1999, SparkNotes has published more than 1,000 study guides on a wide range of subjects, including math, poetry and college test preparation.

The Barnes & Noble-owned company began as a simple online resource for students but has since expanded to accommodate a variety of different formats — including print, PDF and audio. A Palm Pilot version is planned for release soon. The guides are popular among students and cater to more than 7.5 million registered users online.

However, some people are concerned the study guides will provide students with an easy way out of reading the actual text. Northwestern professors said they worry study guides will cause misinterpretations of the text and prevent students from developing their own ideas.

“My concern about student use of (SparkNotes) is that students won’t necessarily realize the number of errors and serious misconstruals of the material that appear in these ‘guides’ — even when the guides are presenting what they consider ‘basic’ material,” said English Prof. Jeffrey Masten.

“I would encourage students to take charge of their own education, their own thinking about the material in their courses, rather than having someone hand it to them,” Masten added, “no matter how sexy a guide in MP3 format might seem.”

Kestler said SparkNotes are only meant to supplement course materials. Students still should do their readings to fully benefit from using a study guide, he said.

“From the start what we’ve been about doing is creating a supplementary product that would make learning better — more effective and fun,” Kestler said. “I don’t believe we have subverted any part of the educational process because using SparkNotes without the underlying text is ineffective.”

Medill sophomore Sarah Forte said she has used SparkNotes in the past to help her analyze Shakespeare but does not plan on using the audio format, which she calls “the height of laziness.”

“I won’t deny that I’ve read a few of them just to make sure I could follow the discussion,” Forte said.

Communication freshman Nick Giles said he believes the audio guides could gain support among students but noted the potential for students to misuse the material.

“People abuse it sometimes,” Giles said. “It’s wrong if you’re using it for the sole purpose of cutting down on the amount of work you have to do, but I don’t think the concept is entirely bad.”