Michigan looked good last week but falls hard to Ducks

Entering the game, then-No. 3 Michigan (3-1) had averaged more than 307 yards over its past three contests and boasted the nation’s leading rusher in Chris Perry. Apparently No. 10 Oregon (4-0) didn’t get the message.

The Ducks stifled the Wolverines’ rushing attack, limiting Perry to 26 yards and holding Michigan to minus-3 yards on 19 carries en route to an upset win.

Underdog Oregon exploded for 21 unanswered points in the second quarter behind a pair of rushing touchdowns and as a 61-yard punt return.

Michigan’s John Navarre struggled to find his accuracy and was the victim of several dropped passes.

Ohio State 24, Bowling Green 17: The defending national champion No. 4 Buckeyes remained undefeated on the season after squeaking by Bowling Green (3-1).

An interception by Ohio State (4-0) safety Will Allen on the last play of the game squelched a potential game-tying drive by the Falcons. Bowling Green rallied from a 24-7 deficit with under four minutes to play before falling short.

Michigan State 22, Notre Dame 16: Michigan State (3-1) defeated the Fighting Irish for the fourth straight time at Notre Dame Stadium, breaking the game open in the fourth quarter with an interception by defensive end Greg Taplin that was returned 35 yards for a touchdown. It was the first interception of the senior’s career.

Iowa 21, Arizona State 2: No. 13 Iowa(4-0) quarterback Nathan Chandler threw for three touchdowns in the Hawkeye’s victory over Arizona State (2-1). Arizona State had been averaging 400.5 yards and 30 points a game, but the Hawkeyes used an incessant four-man pass rush to hold the Sun Devils to 184 total yards.

With the win, Iowa jumped to the No. 9 spot in the USA Today/ESPN coaches poll.

Minnesota 48, Louisiana-Lafayette 14: No. 24 Minnesota (4-0) achieved its 600th all-time victory in grand fashion, outgaining Louisiana-Lafayette (0-3) 356-50 on the ground.

The Gopher’s scored the first 31 points and led 41-7 at halftime behind Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber III, who both topped the 100-yard mark on the ground.

Penn State 32, Kent State 10: More than 100,000 fans packed into Beaver Stadium to see the first non-televised Penn State (2-2) football contest in 73 games. The Nittany Lions came back from an early 10-point deficit to defeat Kent State (2-2), with freshman Austin Scott leading the way with 100 yards rushing and three touchdowns on 21 carries.

California 31, Illinois 24: Illinois (1-3) mounted an impressive rally in the game’s final five minutes, but it wasn’t enough to overcome the 17-point lead the Fighting Illini spotted California (2-3) in the fourth quarter. Illinois recovered an onside kick with 1:42 left and drove to the Golden Bears’ 4 yard line before quarterback Jon Beutjer was sacked to end the game.

Kentucky 34, Indiana 17: Kentucky (2-2) quarterback Jared Lorenzen threw for two touchdowns and ran for another in a grinding win over Indiana (1-3).

Indiana punter Tyson Beattie repeatedly pinned Kentucky deep within its own territory, but the Wildcats broke through in the second quarter when Lorenzen connected with Chris Bernard for a 51-yard touchdown score.

Purdue 59, Arizona 7: Sporting lucky black jerseys instead of their usual gold, the Boilermakers played inspired football and crushed Arizona.

No. 22 Purdue (2-1) scored the game’s first 38 points, and the Boilermakers reached the 59-point mark for the first time since coach Joe Tiller arrived in 1997.

Wisconsin 38, North Carolina 27: Wisconsin running back Brooker Stanley proved to be an excellent fill-in for the Badgers (3-1), replacing an injured Anthony Davis and rushing for 119 yards and three touchdowns on 28 carries.

Wide receiver Lee Evans caught five passes for 80 yards, making him the school’s all-time leader with 134 receptions.