Proposal raises fees to balance city budget

Evanston’s beaches and softball fields could cost users more under the city manager’s proposed budget — and city officials say they won’t get cheaper any time soon.

Increases in the price of beach tokens and softball league fees are two of the price hikes included in the proposed Parks/Forestry and Recreation Department budget for 2003-04. Regular beach tokens would cost $27 — $1 more than the current price charged to Evanston residents for the period from June to August. The pre-season discount on tokens would decrease by $2. The city projects it can raise an additional $35,300 more through the fees.

Softball leagues would face an additional $100 in fees per team, which would generate about $8,800.

The budget also would raise picnic reservation fees from $10 to $50, bringing in another $500.

When trying to meet the bottom line, Parks/Forestry and Recreation is one of the few departments that can recommend fees instead of just cutting programs. Department director Doug Gaynor said that gives him and his staff more options.

“As long as there’s an opportunity to work within the market and people can still afford the program, that’s a better solution than just eliminating a program,” he said.

The proposal would also add fees for fire rings; raising banners in Grey Park near Main Street and Ridge Avenue; boat launches; and bus rides to the Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave. These new fees would bring in more than $13,000.

Evanston looks at neighboring cities’ prices when determining how to set fees, Gaynor said.

“If a program runs $50 in all other communities, we can’t run $100 and expect people to sign up,” he said.

The city also surveys residents to determine how to balance fee increases with public demand, he said.

“If everything were free, more people would use them,” said City Manager Roger Crum. “We’re trying to find a fair balance.”

Gaynor said he thought residents would be patient with increased fees, even if it causes them to use services less.

When Crum proposed his budget, he wrote that he tried to suggest cuts that could be restored when the economy rebounds. However, Crum said increased fees are probably here to stay.

“Most people expect prices to go up each year a little bit,” Crum said. “As long as they’re in the range of expectations, there’s no big crisis.”

Ald. Steven Bernstein (4th) said the city would probably only reduce fees if it were forced to compete with other cities’ parks.

“I don’t know that you ever go back,” Bernstein said. “McDonald’s might roll back the price of hamburgers because of competition. … But there aren’t too many beaches in Skokie.”

Bernstein said one advantage of fees is that they bring in money from non-residents who use Evanston parks.

But Ramon Vazquez, of the 1000 block of Darrow Avenue, said he was afraid increased softball fees might drive away teams.

“If nobody uses a service, it’s a waste of taxpayer money,” he said.

Vazquez said he also thought charging for the Levy Senior Center bus was a bad idea. Senior citizens already have to go out of their way to get to the center, he said.

Most Evanstonians would still prefer fees to higher property taxes, though, he said.

But Kathryn Skelton, of the 2700 block of Isabella Street, said the fees amount to “sneaky taxation.” She would rather feel the damage all at once in a property tax increase, she said.

“They don’t want to do that because we can see it all at one time,” she said.