30 minutes with 4 MCs

A few hours before showtime Thursday, while the deejays were busy spinning beats inside Patten Gym, the four emcees of Jurassic 5 took time to relax on their tour bus and talk about promoting their new album.

The hip-hop group toured during the summer, took a few months off and then went back on the road last month to promote their latest album, “Power In Numbers.” Although Jurassic 5 enjoys being on the road, they said there’s a limit to how long a person can live on a tour bus.

“You just kinda hit your wall after about a month or so, and then you’re just ready to go home,” Marc 7 said. “I’ve had other odd jobs — I’d rather be doing this than that.”

“Power In Numbers” shows more of Jurassic 5’s range than 2000’s “Quality Control,” group members said, but they didn’t really change anything about their sound.

“What you hear is exactly J5,” Soup said. “It’s just another facet of J5.”

The new album uses a heavier sound with an emphasis on floor-thumping bass.

“If you’re not feeling it through the bottom of your feet to the top of your chin, something’s wrong,” Marc 7 said.

Media attention for “Power In Numbers” is greater than the act’s earlier albums, but Jurassic 5 said they aren’t lamenting a lack of attention.

“I think we’re all glad it’s just starting somewhere,” Soup said.

The emcees said it’s hard to tell which direction the group will take in the future, but that doesn’t stop them from looking ahead.

“I’m happy the way we’re goin’, but I’m not content with it now,” Soup said. “I want more. I want it all — like Warren G said.”

But the emcees realize that no one can be on top forever. Pointing to a small picture of Jam Master Jay taped to their wall, they talked about how last week’s murder of the Run DMC co-founder has affected them.

“That dude was an innovator, just like his whole crew,” Chali 2na said. “We looked up to those guys. It’s a tragic loss.”

“But you gotta understand that death becomes all of us,” Soup interrupted. “It’s just tragic how it happened, but that’s the way it’s supposed to happen.”

But these emcees were focused on Thursday’s show and how to please a crowd.

“Sometimes you might get the kind of crowd that just stands there and makes you work even harder,” Marc 7 said. “You get the ‘show-me’ crowd, that’s what I call ’em. They’re just sitting there waiting.”

“I think what makes it good is when the people leave with the same energy they came with,” Akil said. “They don’t feel bummed out at the end of the night.”

Making the show flow is important, too.

“People don’t want to come to the show and hear the CD,” Chali 2na said. “You gotta stimulate their five senses. Well, you might not have to stimulate their smell, but everything else.”

Despite their success, Jurassic 5 said they unwind after performances by eating, playing video games or just talking like anyone else.

“You know, just everyday guy stuff,” Marc 7 said.