Hopeful representatives debate state, local issues

The voices of state representative candidates echoed through a mostly empty Cahn Auditorium on Monday night. But 45 students, professors and community members came to learn more about the candidates they will choose from on Election Day.

State Rep. Julie Hamos, D-Evanston, and challenging Republican candidate James O’Hara spent about an hour discussing topics including income taxes, public transit and the death penalty.

One of the two will be elected Nov. 5 to represent the 18th district, which covers most of Evanston as well as parts of Skokie and Rogers Park.

The debate, sponsored by the League of Student Voters and Associated Student Government, gave candidates a chance to answer predetermined questions posed by three moderators: Associated Student Government President Rachel Lopez, Kellogg Prof. Alan Drebin and political science Prof. Michael Herron.

Audience members also submitted questions in the debate.

The candidates kicked off the debate by talking about their backgrounds. Before Hamos was elected as state representative in 1998, she spent 25 years working in public policy arenas. O’Hara, Weinberg ’90, co-founded a customer relations firm that he ran for eight years.

O’Hara said being an entrepreneur taught him to look at both short- and long-term goals. To address the $2 million budget deficit, O’Hara said state legislators should reduce costs and improve efficiency instead of increasing income taxes. One of his long-term goals would be to promote new jobs.

“Illinois ranks 44th in the United States in job growth, and that simply is not acceptable,” he said.

Hamos said she will not take a stance on whether or not raising taxes is a good idea.

“I’m not one of those candidates who makes those promises, ‘Read my lips, no new taxes!'” she said. “I know people get cynical when they hear politicians say that.”

Another question dealt with how the candidates would improve public transportation in the Chicago area. Hamos said coordinating the Metra, Pace and Chicago Transit Authority systems and creating a universal fare card would provide better service.

O’Hara said he would prioritize local issues in the quest for better public transit. He would support funding for transportation improvements in Evanston and the surrounding areas before supporting other state projects.

The candidates also focused on how government scandals lead voters to mistrust politicians.

“When I walk door to door in my district, there is a cloud of scandal that surrounds us,” Hamos said.

O’Hara said he hopes new candidates will avoid the scandals that have plagued Illinois in the past.

“It’s incumbent on candidates coming fresh into the process to set the bar high,” he said.

Some audience members, such as Evanston resident Jack Himz, said they enjoyed the chance to compare Hamos and O’Hara.

“I was interested in finding the similarities and differences of the candidates,” said Himz, 70, a retired educator. “They have a good many shared interests.”

Eddy said he appreciated the candidates’ professionalism during the debate.

“They seemed more concerned with the issues than with outfoxing the other candidate,” he said.