LatiNU kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month tonight

Kicking off this year’s Hispanic Heritage Month, tonight’s second annual Festival LatiNU boasts an evening of music, dance and free Pan-American and Spanish food.

Hosted by the Office of Hispanic and Latino Student Services, the three-hour event begins at 6 p.m. in Norris University Center’s Louis Room.

“This is our big, opening, kick-off event that is slowly becoming an NU tradition,” said Lupita Temiquel, who recently took over as coordinator of Hispanic and Latino Student Services. “We have lots of food and different acts.”

The evening will feature music performed by three Latin bands: the Samuel del Real Orchestra, Tierra Colombiana and Sambal.

“It’s going to be like a big party,” said Edith Rivera, Alianza president and a Communication junior.

Other events celebrating Hispanic heritage throughout the rest of the month include forums, lectures, film nights, a talent show and a jazz night.

The Soy Yo Dialogue, which will be held at 7 p.m. Oct. 7 at the Multicultural Center, is a discussion on cultural identity issues.

“It’s a yearly student get-together where we discuss diversity and identity issues,” said Toni Salazar-Parker, graduate assistant for Hispanic and Latino Student Services.

Other prominent events include the MEZCLA Talent Show on Oct. 29 at Norris, and Jazz Night with Banda Mantiqueira on Oct. 30 at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall.

The closing event will be the Day of the Dead on Nov. 1.

“(Day of the Dead) is when we celebrate and call back our ancestors,” Parker said. At last year’s event they set up altars, including one for the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Although Latino students say they celebrate their culture throughout the year, NU students and administrators look forward to all of this month’s activities.

“This is a way for us to solidify our community,” Parker said. “We try to celebrate our heritage all the time and it’s wonderful to have this particular time of the month.”

Rivera said it is a good time to educate Latino students and the rest of the campus about their culture and heritage.

“It’s just a great time for us to showcase part of our culture and part of what makes us unique here at NU,” she said.

Temiquel said she hopes students will learn to appreciate different cultures throughout the year, and not just during designated months.

“I hope (this month) brings understanding and appreciation for Hispanic and Latino culture and a more broad understanding,” she said. “Eventually I would like to see these things done year-round and not just focused on during the month of October.”