Deconstructing rock Clinically

Clinic’s first album, Internal Wrangler, was universally lauded for its intoxicated blend of African rhythms, broken-sounding instruments and singer Ade Blackburn’s reed-thin but fascinating vocals. A record label was founded in order to release it in the U.S., for crying out loud.

So how did Clinic follow up a masterpiece? They made a choice to change. Their new album, Walking With Thee, is the first step toward a better Clinic.

“Harmony” kicks off the record, and it is a highlight as well. It’s built around a simple organ riff, a piano chord and a drumming pattern. This might sound like the classic Clinic formula, but “Harmony” is a departure for the band. The lyrics are clear, the instruments identifiable.

The other high point of Walking is “For the Wars,” the waltz-like closing track. The music swirls around a gorgeous guitar line and a somehow more heart-breaking clarinet part. It would be brilliant as an instrumental, but the lyrics and singing take it to another level. “You’re all made up for the wars,” Blackburn croons in the chorus. It’s the most affecting song on the record – and the best by a long shot.

Nothing on Walking, not even “For the Wars,” quite hits the emotional high of “Distortions” from Wrangler, but then, what does? On the other hand, nothing is as half-formed or tossed-off as their older songs “DJ Shangri-La,” “C.Q.” or “T.K.,” so it’s a bit of a trade-off.

With Wrangler, Clinic filled the middle of their record with short, fast songs so that the brilliant closing group of songs, including “Distortions” and “Goodnight Georgie,” could be reached faster. This time around, the band chose a more balanced sequence, and the weaker tracks, like “Pet Eunuch” and “The Bridge,” suffer for it. They also suffer because they sound exactly like songs on Wrangler. Still, most of the songwriting on the majority of Walking is far more developed than any of Clinic’s earlier work.

Some of the strongest songs on Walking are actually in the middle of its running order, which contributes to its more consistent feel throughout.

But the change in Clinic’s sound is not as radical as the one Radiohead went through between OK Computer and Kid A. All the original elements have been kept in place, but additional instruments, most notably piano and keyboards, have been thrown in. The production has also been dramatically improved – the band has never sounded better. The result is a bigger sound, and not in a Styx or Boston kind of way.

The biggest change might be that the band sounds like they spent time in the studio. The songs presented this time around are the very first of the band’s career guaranteed to have included over-dubs, if only because clarinet parts tend to get drowned out in a live rock setting.

One of Clinic’s most inspired early singles was 1998’s “Porno,” in which Blackburn moved from quiet pleading to an insistent sob of “I’m bored, I’m bored, I’m bored.” It stands with “Distortions” as their best ever, but nothing on Walking even tries to emulate it. It’s the kind of song that can silence critics. It’s the one missing element here.

Walking With Thee is not as surprising and exciting as Internal Wrangler, but only because it was released second. If they’d come out at the same time, Walking might be considered the superior album. As it stands, many are likely to overlook the album or call it a disappointment. Judged on its merits alone, Clinic’s new album is every bit as brilliant as its first. nyou